Lead Web Engineer (Ruby / JS)
New York, NY
Do you love building great educational products? Are you good with large databases, Ruby on Rails, slick front ends, and solving complex problems across platforms and devices? If so, then let’s talk.
Brainscape is a web and mobile learning platform with cool tech under the hood, and we’re looking for a great Web Engineer to work with our awesome team of developers here in New York.
Skills & Requirements
- 4+ years programming experience
- Ruby on Rails (At least 6 months)
- Bootstrap customization
- HTML and CSS preprocessors (i.e. LESS, HAML, etc)
- MySQL / database performance tuning
- Distributed source control (Mercurial or Git)
- RESTful Web Services
- Cloud services and APIs. Amazon Web Services - EC2, RDS, S3 are a plus
- Key/value stores (Redis, Memcached)
- You have preferences, but believe in picking the right tool, language, or API for the job
- You love to automate stuff: tests, deployments, data integrity checks
- You believe in TDD/BDD, and you practice it.
- You’re organized. Your code is modular and reusable when it should be. But at the end of the day, you aim to produce working, useful software. I.e.: you get shit done.
- Solid coding practices, an agile attitude, and a proven ability to find the right tool, language, or API for the right job
Brainscape (www.brainscape.com) is a web/mobile education platform whose mission is no less than to optimize learning. We aim to map the entire world of education into its bite-sized chunks, then use a smart knowledge repetition algorithm to feed you concepts in exactly the pattern that your brain needs for maximum memory retention. We already have over 6 million student & adult users of our learning platform and are growing very quickly. Check us out on iTunes, or find articles about us on Forbes and Mashable.
If you are hired for this position, you'll be working with not only smart technologists and educators, but neuroscience researchers and geeks who write apps you can control with your brainwaves in their spare time. Be sure to check out our blog (blog.brainscape.com) to see the random stuff we're always reading and writing about.
Interested? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with evidence of your geekery - e.g., links to a website you developed, an iPhone app you released, your blog about tech, your LinkedIn profile, whatever. Show us that you love tech.