Flashcards in 04 Knee 1 Deck (23):
clinical significance of the tibial tuberosity
- Osgood-Schlatter disease
- site where they harvest the bone plug for a BTB ACL repair
tibial tuberosity apophysitis
What pathology affects the inferior pole of the patella?
What is Sinding-Larsen-Johansson Syndrome?
apophysitis of the inferior pole of the patella
clinical significance for the anterior surface of the patella
- may be a divot on the patella if there's been a bone plug harvest for a BTB surgery
- patellar fracture
clinical significance of the superior pole of the patella
- not much going on here
- potential chondral problem
What may be a cause of a patellar fracture?
- structural weakness after BTB graft is removed
How many layers of palpable structures under the patella?
significance of pain over lateral superior border of patella
could be a bipartite patella
types of bipartite patella
- true bipartite
- fracture-type bipartite
physis doesn't close
fracture type bipartite
due to fracture
clinical significance of the inferior aspect of the medial trochlear ridge
most common site of OCD due to AVN of the femur/knee
How do you know if you're on the inferior aspect of the medial trochlear ridge?
- flex IP joint
- thumb on inferior aspect of medial femoral condyle
clinical significance of the inferior aspect of the lateral trochlear ridge
- no other specific pathology that occurs here
function of the trochlear groove
bony buttress to prevent lateralization of the patella
What may cause OCD?
- with dislocation or subluxation
- may get OCD from inferior surface of patella or lateral trochlea
superior aspect of medial trochlear ridge clinical significance
site where the patella tracks
Can you palpate the superior aspect of medial trochlear ridge?
no, it's under the VMO
clinical significance of the superior aspect of lateral trochlear ridge
- 90% of dislocations happen laterally
- knocks off a piece of lateral trochlea
- may get an OCD lesion
How do you feel the superior aspect of the lateral trochlear ridge?
- above superior pole of the patella
clinical significance of the trochlear groove
- where the patella tracks
- site of arthritic changes