Flashcards in 04 Medial Knee Palpations 3 Deck (11):
What causes AVN in the knee?
medial trochlear ridge: clinical significance
- may feel osteophytes in arthritic patients
- constrains the patella as it articulates
medial trochlear ridge: location
- medially adjacent to distal end of femur
- can't feel under the VMO, but the part at joint line is palpable
3 ways for the plica to be irritated
1. overuse (running)
2. macrotrauma directly to the area
3. chronic effusion in the knee causes degradation changes to the synovium and plica becomes fibrotic
most common site of MCL tear
2nd most common site of MCL tear
proximal attachment at epicondyle
3rd most common site of MCL tear
distal attachment at tibial flare
most important stabilizer in the knee
Why can't you palpate the plica at 90˚?
too stretched out
What is a plica?
fold in the synovial lining