Flashcards in 14. Liver anatomy Deck (23)
liver lobules ?
hexagonal mass of tissue primarily composed of plates of hepatocytes, which radiate from the region of central vein toward the periphery
hepatocytes surfaces face ...
apical surface --> bile canaliculi
basolateral surface --> sinusoids
liver portal areas
regions of the connective tissue between lobules thatcontain branches of the portal vein, hepatic artery, lymph vessels and bile duct
liver sunoids ?
sinusoidal capillaries that arise at the periphery of a lobule and run between adjacent plates of hepatocytes
liver sinudolood is - cells
- sinusoidal lining cells ( endothelial) --> fenestration
- Kupffer cells ( phagocytic)
Kupffer cells ?
specialized macrophages , form the lining of sinusoids
---> remove debris, old erythrocytes , and cellular gragments from b
hepatic stelalte ( ITO) cells - location and action
space of Disse:
1. store vitamin A ( when quiescent)
2. produce extracellular matrix ( when activated)
space of DIsse?
subendothelial space between hepatocytes and sinusoidal lining cells
expanded intercellular spaces between adjacent hepatocytes that form tiny canals for the initial flow of bile
bile canaliculi --> canals of Heing ( bile ductules ) --> bile ducts
Blood flow out of the liver occurs via the
hepatic vein, formed by the union of numerous subobular veins, which collect blood from central vein
Liver tissue - zones ?
zone I : periportal zone
zone II : intermediate zone
zone III : pericentral vein ( centrilobular ) zone
zone affected first by ischemia
pericentral vein ( centrilobular ) zone
Zone I - characteristicts
affected 1st by viral hepatitis and ingested toxins ( eg. cocaine)
zone II - chatacteristics
affected by yellow fever
zone III - characteristics
1. affected 1st by ischemia
2. contains cytochrome P-450 system
3. most sensitice to metabolic toxins
4. site of alcoholic hepatitis
• In a patient with viral hepatitis, what zone of the liver is first affected?
Zone I, the periportal zone
• A patient suffers septic shock and becomes hypotensive. Which zone of the liver is first to suffer necrosis?
Zone III, the pericentral vein zone, which is a watershed area
• Drugs metabolized by the P-450 system are most likely to be found in which zone of the liver?
• List the three parts of the liver that make up the portal triad.
Bile ductule, portal vein, and hepatic artery
• A man visiting from South Africa has worsening fever and hematemesis, and unfortunately dies. A postmortem liver biopsy would reveal what?
Hepatic necrosis in zone II (classic for yellow fever)
• Lymph drains from the liver via which histologic structure?
The space of Disse