Flashcards in 17. Inguinal canal Deck (16):
site of protrusion of indirect hernia
deep ( internal ) inguinal ring
inguinal canal conceys
men --> the spermatic cord
women --> the round ligament of uterus
fascia of the spermatic cord
external spermatic fascia ( external oblique)
cremasteric muscle and fascia ( internal oblique)
internal spermatic fascia ( transvesali fascia )
structure within spermatic cord and functions ( not the fascia)
1. Vas ( ductus deferens --> conveys sperm from epidiymis to eaculation duct
2. testicular artery ( branch of abdominal aorta ) --> testis and epidimidis
3. Pampiform venous plexus --> vascular network that converges to form testicular vein
4. genital branch of genitofemoral nerve --> cremaster muscle
5. artery to vas deferans ( branch of inferior vesical artery)
6. autonomic nerve fibers --> SMS in vessels, testis, ductus deferens and epididymis
7. Lymphatic vessels --> drain from testis and associated structures to lumbar and pre- aortic nodes
inguinal - inferior ( floor)
inguinal ligament ( + lacunar ligament)
arching fibers of internal abdominal oblique muscle and transversus abdominal muscle and transverlis fascia
- aponeurosis of external oblique
-internal oblique ( lateral third of canal only)
- transversalis fascia
- conjoint tendon ( medial part of posterior wall)
• A patient has an indirect hernia. Through which structure does this hernia protrude?
The internal inguinal ring
• Name the layers that compose the spermatic cord, from the most superficial to the deepest layer.
External spermatic fascia, cremasteric muscle and fascia, internal spermatic fascia
• From the most superficial layer to the deepest, what are the three muscles that cover the internal (deep) inguinal ring?
External oblique, internal oblique, and transversus abdominis
• A male patient has a direct inguinal hernia. Between which two structures do you typically find a direct inguinal hernia?
The inferior epigastric vessels and the rectus abdominis
• A male patient has a direct inguinal hernia. Through what structure does the hernia protrude?
• What muscle layer does the internal spermatic fascia derive from?
• A patient has a damaged cremasteric muscle in the spermatic cord. What muscle layer does the cremasteric muscle originate from?