Flashcards in 2. Adrenal cortex and medulla Deck (17)
adrenal embryology - derived from
adrenal cortex is derived from mesoderm
adrenal medulla is derived from neural crest
adrenal cortex zones ( from outer to inner) and what they producr
Zona Gromerulosa --> aldosterone
Zona Fasciculata --> cortisol + sex hormones
Zona Reticularis --> sex hormone
adrenal medulla histology and embryology
chromaffin cells - from neural crest
adrenal medulla - secretory products
catecholamines ( epinephrine, norepinephrine)
adrenal medulla - primary regulatory control
preganglionic sympathetic fibers
adrenal cortex zones ( from outer to inner) and regulated by
Zona Gromerulosa --> renin-angiotensin
Zona Fasciculata --> ACTH, CRH
Zona Reticularis --> ACTH, CRH
most common tumor in adrenal medulla in adults and in childern
adults : pheochromocytoma
children : neuroblastoma
pheochromocytoma vs neuroblastoma according hypertension
neuroblastoma : rare
sex hormones are secreted by
zona fasciculata and zona reticularis of adrenal cortex
• Name the three zones of the adrenal cortex, from outermost to innermost.
Zona Glomerulosa, zona Fasciculata, zona Reticularis (GFR corresponds to Salt [Na+], Sugar [glucocorticoids], and Sex [androgens])
A man presents with episodic palpitations and hypertension. You suspect a tumor. What is the most common adrenal medulla tumor in adults?
• A 10 y/o boy presents with an abdominal mass. Imaging shows an adrenal tumor. What is the likely diagnosis? Is there episodic hypertension?
Neuroblastoma, the most common adrenal tumor in children; no (unlike pheochromocytoma, neuroblastoma rarely causes episodic hypertension)
• A woman is startled and experiences diaphoresis as a result of catecholamine release. What stimulated this release?
ACh from preganglionic sympathetic fibers innervating the adrenal medulla, the site of catecholamine (epinephrine, norepinephrine) release
• Which part of the adrenal gland is derived from the same cells as melanocytes?
Chromaffin cells of the adrenal medulla
• A patient has congenital aplasia of her adrenal cortex. From what embryologic tissue did this dysfunction arise?
Adrenal cortex is derived from mesoderm. Adrenal medulla is derived from neural crest cells
• Aldosterone output is regulated by the ___ system; cortisol output by ___ and ___; ___ output in the zona reticularis by ACTH and CRH.
Renin-angiotensin; ACTH, CRH; sex hormone (e.g., androgens)