Flashcards in 2: Language of Calling Deck (9):
Contemporary notions of "calling"
- Full-time ministry/Vocational ministry
- Broader: they may respond with their job
- Religious Vocation
Functional notion of "calling"
- Seeking direction in big life decisions.
"Is God calling me to..."
Affective-Intuitive notion of "calling"
- Places the impetus on the person to figure out what God's calling is.
- "God has good things for you, if you don't do your part in finding it, you may miss out on God's calling"
- Dangerous notion of calling
- God has called you for salvation
How does the Bible talk about calling?
1. Calling as an activity
2. Calling as a concept
Calling as an activity
1. God does the calling
- God calls a person into a relationship or an identity
- Ethic inherent in the calling (for peace, purity, holiness)
- Vocation associated, not separated from the relationship
2. A human does the calling
Calling as a concept
- the language of calling is never used in terms of a vocation
- it is a reality that exists as a result of God calling you to himself
What do we mean by calling?
1. Personal (caller/calling/called)
- That it is not something you must find. If you have him, you have the calling.
- you are called by God into a relationship with him
- identity in Christ is analogous to the identity in the escathon
4. Informs Vocation
- Calling is your identity in Christ, that identity informs your vocation