Flashcards in 20th Century Deck (8)
What were 6 key historical facts about the 20th century?
- Second Wave Feminism (60s-80s) revolved around workplace and reproductive rights.
- Third Wave Feminism (90s-Present) Questions traditional notions of gender, identity and sexuality.
- Breakdown of British Empire by 1960s.
- 1960s Divorce is made easier, abortion legalised and free contraception available.
What is Psychoanalysis?
- The influence of the unconscious, repressed desires shape thought, trauma and childhood experiences impact later life.
What are ideas about love and relationships is the 20th century>
- Liberalisation of attitudes regarding love (same sex relationships, divorce and abortion)
- Cynical attitudes (short-term view of relationships.)
- Sex within relationships become a less taboo topic and is considered an important aspect of marriage.
What were the key poetry movements/styles/influences of the 20th century?
- Age of Anxiety.
- Spiritual alienation.
- Experimental writing.
What was the Age of Anxiety ?
- Despite prosperity, the shadow of war causes disillusionment.
What is Modernism?
- Focus on the inner self.
What is Post-modernism?
- reader has to reconstruct.