Flashcards in 3: Union with Christ Deck (7):
Every aspect of our salvation (justification, sanctification, glorification) is inherent to our union with Christ.
Three understandings of Union
- you in Christ, Christ in you
- the sphere of your existence. from "in Adam' to "in Christ"
- you participated with Christ in everything that he did
- Christ is the medium in engaging our agency (good works)
Four categories of Union
1. Transactional Union
- our sin for his righteousness
2. Personal aspect - what becomes ours in Christ
- the mind and love of Christ
- engaging in relationships
3. Situational Union
- brought out of darkness into the kingdom of God
- our warfare is spiritual
- we have become redemptive agents in God's kingdom
4. Sacramental Union - common in catholic and orthodox
- the body of Christ is the locus of God's presence in this world
What does it mean to be conformed to the image of Christ?
- restoration of a correct image bearing
- doing humanity the same way Jesus did humanity
- the objective is to become more of you via being united with the person of Christ.
Dynamics - what does this mean for us?
1. "Already, but not yet"
- Trying to embody the future life creates tension with the reality of sin right now
- Jew conception of Messianic liberation (present evil age/ the age to come) vs. Reformed understanding of the overlap of those ages.