Flashcards in 32. Pituitary adenoma Deck (12):
most commonly / arises from
prolactinoma - benign or malignant
pituitary adenoma - divide to
1. functional adenoma ( hotmone producing)
2. nonfunctioning adenoma ( silent )
nonfunctionaing pituitary adenoma present with
mass effect :
1. bitemporal hemianopia
pituitary functional tumor presentation is based on
the hormone produced
prolactinoma - symptoms
3. low libido
treatment of prolactinoma
1. dopamine agonists ( bromocriptine or carbeholide)
2. trannphenoidal resection
dopamine agonists for treatment prolactinoma - drugs
• A 36-year-old woman has bitemporal visual field defects and headache. What is the most likely diagnosis?
Pituitary adenoma, most commonly a prolactinoma, which compresses the optic chiasm, causing a bitemporal hemianopsia
• A 36-year-old nonpregnant woman has amenorrhea, low libido, and white discharge from her nipples. How do you treat?
Prolactinoma is treated with dopamine agonists (such as bromocriptine or cabergoline) to shrink the tumor, or transsphenoidal resection
• A 25-year-old woman has had trouble getting pregnant and now complains of peripheral vision loss. What is the cause of her infertility?
She likely has a prolactinoma (decreased GnRH, amenorrhea, infertility