Flashcards in 34. Sarcoidosis Deck (20)
σαρcoidosis is more common in ( epidemiology)
african - american females
sarcoidosis - characteristic ( histology)
widespreed noncaseating granulomas
origin of widespreed non caseating granulomas in sarcoidosis
sarcoidosis - CD4/CD8 ratio
elevated in BRONCHOALVEOLAR LAVAGE
sarcoidosis - " paraneoplastic:
1. elevated serum ACE
sarcoidosis - presentation
asymptomatic wxcept for enlarged lymph nodes
sarcoidosis- findings on CXR
bilateral adenopathy and coarse reticular opacitites
saexoidosis - chest CT
extensive hilar and mediastinal adenopathy
sarcoidosis is associated with
1. restrictive lung disease ( interstitial fibrosis)
2. erythema nodosum
3. Lupus pernio ( skin lesion o phase resembling Lupus)
4. Bell palsy
sareitis coidosis - pathophysiology of hypercalcemia
increased 1-a hydroxylase activity of epitheliod histiocytes converts vitamin D to its active form
sarcoidosis - histology of granulomas
epitheloid granulomas containing microscopic Schaumann and asteroid bodies ( within Giant cells)
sarcoidosis - clinical manifestation on the eye
MC presenting symptom of sarcoidosis
dyspnea or cough
• What population is most affected by sarcoidosis?
• What kind of process is sarcoidosis. What is the characteristic systemic pathologic finding?
Immune-mediated process; widespread noncaseating granulomas
• A patient with sarcoidosis develops progressive dyspnea on exertion. What kind of pattern would you expect to see on PFT?
A restrictive pattern, as patients with sarcoidosis can develop interstitial fibrosis
• What type of skin pathology is associated with sarcoidosis?
• What two histopathologic findings are seen in the epithelioid granulomas of sarcoidosis?
Schaumann bodies and asteroid bodies