Flashcards in 40. Actinomyces vs. Nocardia Deck (11):
1. Actinomyces - anaerobe , not acid fast , GRAM +
2. Nocardia - aerobe , acid fast , GRAM +
According to location
1. Actinomyces --> normal oral, reproductive , and GI flora
2. Nocardia - found in soil
according to treatment
MNEMONIC : SNAP --> Sulf - Nocardia / Actinom - Penicillin
Nocardia --> sulfonamides
according to clinical manifestations
Actinomyces --> oral / facial abscess that drain through sinus tracts, PID, with intrauterine device
Nocardia-> pulmonary infenctions in immunocompromised and cutaneous infenctions after trauma in immunocompoment
according to pigmented
Actinomyces israelli - yellow sulfur granules which are composed of filaments of bacteria
• Which is an anaerobe: Actinomyces israelii or Nocardia asteroides?
• Which is a weakly acid-fast aerobe found in soil: Actinomyces israelii or Nocardia asteroides?
• You are told that a patient has Actinomyces israelii infection. How would you describe the lesions caused by the bacteria?
Oral/facial abscesses that may drain through sinus tracts—forms yellow "sulfur granules"
• Actinomyces is found in ____ (normal oral flora/soil) and Nocardia is found in ____ (normal oral flora/soil).
Normal oral flora; soil
• A patient has an Actinomyces infection; another has a Nocardia infection. How do you treat each patient?
Sulfonamides can treat Nocardia, and Actinomyces is treated with Penicillin (treatment is a SNAP)