Flashcards in 41. Insulinoma Deck (11):
insulinoma is a tumor of .... ---> overproduction of .... ---> ....
- pancreatic β cells
insulinoma - may see
1. low bloood glucose
2. symptoms of hypoglycemia ( lethargy, syncompe, diplopia)
3. resolution of symptoms after normalization of glucose levels
insulinoma - resolution of symptoms after
normalization of glucose levels
symptomatic patients with insulinoma - labs
1. decreased blood glucose
2. increased C-peptide
insulinoma vs exogenous insulin use ( lab )
- both decreased blood glucose
- increased C peptide in insulinoma, decreased in exogenous use
• A patient presents with lethargy and diplopia followed by syncope. Her blood glucose is low with an elevated C-peptide level. Diagnosis?
• Insulinoma is tumor of the ___ cells of the pancreas.
• A nurse presents with lethargy, syncope, and diplopia. Serum insulin is high and C-peptide level is low. Does she need surgery?
No—with low C-peptide, her presentation is more consistent with exogenous insulin overdose (or abuse); surgery is reserved for insulinomas
• A patient with a pancreatic mass has lethargy, syncope, and diplopia. What is this condition called, and how do you treat it?
Hypoglycemia (seen with insulinomas); surgical resection