Flashcards in 7 Deck (25):
(of a computers) able to "learn" from experience, used in applica¬tions such as speech recognition and medical diagnosis
[C] a discussion group on the Internet which is focused on a particular topic
[C] a pseudonym users give themselves, either to protect their identity or to create an online presence
[C] an interconnection point on a computer network where numerous lines come together at the same switch
related to an approach to programming in which each data item with the operations used on it is designated as an object
not connected to the computer and not turned on; or not connected to a computer network or the Internet
[C] a model for describing the world that consists of a objects or con¬cepts, their properties and their relationships
[C] the main control program of a computer that schedules tasks, manages storage, and handles peripherals
operating system n.
[C] a piece of a message that is formatted for transmission on a network and includes its source and destination in the header
[C] a secret sequence of letters and other symbols for authentication to log into a computer system
- to insert code into a computer program to fix or modify it in some way
- [C] the code inserted into a computer program to fix or modify it in some way
patch v., n.
[C] the exact directions to a file on a computer, usually described by means of the hierarchical filing system
[C] an kind of handheld and palm-sized PC, electronic organizer, smartphone, or pager
personal digital assistant (PDA) n.
[C] a computer in a communications network where any computer on the network can be a client and/or server
[C] any piece of hardware connected to a computer, or any part of the computer outside the CPU and working memory
[U] the practice of tricking a user into giving away personal information into a fake form on the Internet
[U] the unauthorized copying of copyrighted software or media for personal or commercial use.
the hardware and/or operating system on which a program runs
- [C] a radio-style show that is downloaded in MP-3 or video format
- to upload a radio-style show in MP-3 or video format
podcast n., v.
[C] a symbol displayed on the computer screen that is moved by means of a mouse, stylus, trackball, etc.
- [C] a place on a computer to connect sth or an endpoint to a logical connection
- to move software from one computer system to another
port n., v.
[C] a site that is intended to be the point of entry to the Web
- a message sent to an Internet discussion group for all the group members to read
- to put a message or computer file on the Internet so that other people can see it
post n., v.
[C] a peripheral that prints text or illustra-tions on paper; essential to have if you want a hard copy of your work