Flashcards in 8. Distortions of the hand Deck (18)
Distortion of the hand - rpoximal vs distal lesions
seen best with distal lesion / less prominent in proximal lesion
distortion of the hand - defictis are present during
voluntary flexion of the digits
ulnar claw vs pope's blessing sign : location of lession
ulnar claw --> DISTAL ulnar nerve ( near to hand )
Pope's blessing --> proximal median nerve
ulnar claw vs pope;s blessing sign - more prominence during
ulnar claw --> extending fingers / rest
Pope's blessing --> making a fist
median claw sign is a result of
distal medial nerve
median claw apperance ( digits )
DIP and PIP extension
median claw is more prominence during
extending fingers at rest
OK gesture appearance
1-3 digits flexed
OK gesture is a result of
proximal ulnar nerve
OK gesture is more prominence in
Making a fist
thenar eminence atrophy can be seen in
1. median nerve lesion
2. recurrent branch of median nerve
• Name the function of the lumbrical muscles of the hand.
The lumbricals flex the MCP joints and extend both the DIP and PIP joints
• How does a Pope's-blessing distortion arise?
A proximal median nerve lesion causes loss of lateral finger flexion and thumb opposition—the distortion arises on trying to make a fist
• A patient has a proximal median nerve lesion. How do you expect this to affect his thumb?
It causes thenar atrophy with an impaired ability to abduct the thumb, leading to an ape-hand distortion
• To uncover an ulnar claw distortion, what do you have to ask a patient with a distal ulnar nerve lesion to do?
Extend the fingers at rest (note that attempting finger flexion with medial nerve lesions leads to a similar appearance [Pope's blessing])
• A woman receiving a mastectomy has her long thoracic nerve severed. What is the function of the muscle innervated by the LTN?
(the serratus anterior attaches the scapula to the posterior wall of the thoracic cage)llows for abduction above the horizontal position)
• You notice a patient has wasting of the thenar eminence. What nerve is likely damaged?