Flashcards in 82. **Antacid use Deck (9)
• A 54-y/o woman being managed for CHF and hypothyroidism has started taking daily antacids. How might this affect her other medications?
Interference with absorption, bioavailability, and urinary excretion by altering gastric and urinary pH and delaying gastric emptying
• Name at least two compounds commonly used as antacids.
Aluminum hydroxide, calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide
• A patient presents with constipation, proximal muscle weakness, and seizures. What antacid is he likely using?
Aluminum hydroxide (aluminimum amount of feces)
• Diarrhea, hyporeflexia, hypotension, cardiac arrest, and hypokalemia are side effects of which antacid?
Magnesium hydroxide (Mg = must go to the bathroom)
• A young patient is overusing antacid calcium carbonate. What toxicities does this cause?
Hypercalcemia, rebound acid increase
• All antacids cause what electrolyte abnormality if overused?
• A patient who heavily self-medicates her GERD complains of dizziness and diarrhea. Which antacid is she likely overusing?
Magnesium hydroxide (can cause diarrhea and hypotension)
• A patient has hypophosphatemia and osteodystrophy. What medication is he likely chronically overusing to treat his GERD?