Flashcards in 9. Glomerular filtration barrier Deck (8):
Glomerula filtration barrier is responsible for
filtration of plasma according to size and net charge
Glomerula filtration barrier is composed of ( and role of every component )
1. fenestated capillary endothelium --> SIZE BARRIER
2. fused basement membrane with heparan sulfate --> NEGATIVE CHARGE AND SIZE BARRIER
3. Epithelial layers consisting of podocyte foot processes--> NEGATIVE CHARGE BARRIER
Components for size barrier and components for charge barrier
size : 1. fenestated capillary endothelium 2 . fused basement membrane
charge : 1. fused basement membrane 2. epithelial layers constisting of podocyte foot processes
Charge barrier is los in ....... (in clinical presentation )
nephrotic syndrome --> 1. albuminuria 2. hypoproteinemia 3. generalized edema 4. hyperlipidemia
• Glomerular fenestrated capillary endothelium filters plasma by ___ (size/charge); the fused basement membrane filters by ___ (size/charge).
• The glomerular basement membrane contains the polysaccharide ____, which filters plasma with its ____ (positive/negative) charge.
Heparin sulfate; negative (blocks albumin filtration)
• What are the three components of the glomerular filtration barrier? How does each contribute to the filtration function of the glomerulus?
Fenestrated capillary endothelium (size), fused basement membrane with heparan sulfate (negative charge), and epithelial layer (podocytes)