Flashcards in 9. Growth hormone (somatotropin) Deck (19)
Growth hormone is also called ..... is secreted by
is secreted by anterior pituitary ( adenohypophysis)
growth hormone ( somatotropin ) function
1. increased insulin resistance ( diabitogenic)
2. stimulates linear growth and muscle mass through IGF-1 ( somatomedin C) secretion by the liver
growth hormone ( somatotropin ) stimulates linear growth and muscle mass through
IGF-1 ( somatomedin C) secretion by the liver
situation of excess secretion of growth hormone
excess secretion of growth hormone can cause
1. acromegaly ( adults )
2. gigantism ( children )
GH released in.... in reponse to ...
released in pulses in response to GHRH
GH secretion is increased during
2. deep sleep
GH seteion is inhibited by
2. somatostatin ( release via negative feedback by somatomedin)
Somatostatin analogs are used to
somatostain function ( on hypothalamic pituitary axon )
decreases secretion of
GHRH analog ?
used to treat HIV lypodystrophy
GH secretion is regulated by
1. Glucose ( negatively)
2. somatostain ( negatively, release via negative feedback by somatomedin)
3. GHRH ( positively)
4. Ghrelin (positively, via GH secretagog receptor)
5. somatomedin C ( negativelu, via somatostain)
Ghrelin effect on GH hormone
Ghrelin increased GH secretion via GH secretagog receptor
IGF- 1 effect on GH hormone regulation
IGF-1 decrease GH secretion via somatostatin releasing
A very tall teenage boy is fond to have growth hormone (GH) excess. How does GH mediate growth? What other disease is he at risk for?
GH increases IGF-1 and somatomedin C secretion, which increases linear growth and muscle mass; diabetes (GH increases insulin resistance)
A very tall 40-year-old man has coarse facial features and visual defects. What hormones normally inhibit the hormone causing his condition?
Glucose and somatostatin inhibit growth hormone (GH) secretion via somatomedin (this is acromegaly due to excess GH [pituitary adenoma])
Describe how growth hormone (GH) is secreted in response to GH-releasing hormone (GHRH). What states increase GH secretion?
GH is released from the anterior pituitary in a pulsatile fashion in response to GHRH; exercise and sleep increase GH secretion
• A man with coarse facial features says that his hands have been growing over the last 4 years. What disease process could account for this?
Acromegaly due to excess secretion of GH