Flashcards in Aircraft General, Emergency Equipment, Doors, Windows, Controls and Indicators Deck (47):
What are the five main dimensions?
Width, length, mains, pods, height (to nearest ft)
25ft main wheels
50ft engine pods
Wing tip radius in full turns?
Max nose wheel steering angle?
Min width pavement for 180deg turn?
Don't make a turn away from an obstacle within Xft of 1. wing tip, or 2. nose?
1 = 15ft
1 = 26ft
Difference between alternate action and bush button switches?
Alternate switches are either on or off. Momentary release back to extended when pushed e.g. Ground power switch
No smoking sign switch position and description? (3)
Off - Signs are off
On - Signs are on
Auto - Signs are on/off depending on landing gear position
Seat belt sign switch position and description? (3 plus full description of auto)
Off - sign is off
On - sign is on
Auto - on or off depending upon landing gear or flap position
When do no smoking and seat belt signs automatically come on regardless of respective switch positions?
Anytime passenger oxygen is deployed
What does the Light Override (LT OVRD) switch do?
Max brightness for the five main cockpit light areas
What does the overhead panel Indicator Lights (IND LTS) switch do?
Sets all illuminated annunciator lights to either full brightness (BRT) or low brightness (DIM)
What does the overhead panel Indicator Lights (IND LTS) TEST switch do (3)?
1. Initiates the indicator lights test at the set brightness level
2. Tests the ADI and HSI displays if the aircraft is on the ground
3. Illuminates the IRS data display characters
What light switch controls the magnetic compass brightness?
Left panel light control on left glareshield
Exterior position lights are? (3)
Where are the anti-col white lights?
When does the nose landing gear light not illuminate? (2)
When either the switch is off with the nose gear locked down, or if the switch is on and the nose gear is not locked down
When does the taxi light not illuminate?
When the nose gear is not down and locked
Three positions and description of the Emergency (EMER) exit lights switch?
- Off - Lights will not work if aircraft electrical power is either selected off or fails
- Auto - Lights will turn on if aircraft electrical power (DC) is either selected off or fails
- On - all emergency lights illuminate
What does ENTRY DOORS or EMER DOORS light mean?
An Entry door or Emergency door is not closed, latched and locked.
What does the CARGO DOORS light mean?
the forward or aft cargo door is not closed, latched and locked
What does the ACCESS DOORS light mean?
the forward equipment bay or electrical equipment compartment door is not closed latched and locked
When the passenger entry door is armed what happens when door is opened from the inside and from the outside?
Inside - door is powered open and the slide deploys
Outside - door opens but the slide does not deploy
What happens when push PASS OXY switch? What does ON light mean?
- Switch on - passenger cabin masks deploy
- On light - passenger oxy system is operating and the masks have dropped
Oxy Mask difference between 100 percent and Normal?
100 percent = 100 percent oxygen
Normal = air/oxygen mixture on demand at a ration based on cabin altitude
Emergency position of Oxy mask does what? Caution?
Supplies 100% oxygen under positive pressure at all altitudes (to protect against smoke and harmful vapours)
Caution as it depletes oxygen at a higher rate than normal mode and only use as required (comms may be harder too)
Smoke vent valve selector does what on mask?
Opens the vent valve allowing oxygen to flow to the smoke goggles
If normal electrical power is lost where do some essential cockpit lighting get their power from?
Automatically switched to the Standby AC Bus
When does the Indicator Light brightness get automatically overridden from DIM? (3)
1. Ambient flight deck light level increases to a preset crossover level
2. Loss of equipment cooling air flow as detected in the flight deck or in the FWD E/E bay
3. Equipment cooling air overheat is detected in the flight deck or in the FWD E/E compartment or at the cooling air supply source
Four times when seat belt signs come on when switch is in AUTO?
1. landing gear not up and locked, or
2. Flap lever not up, or
3. Cabin altitude above 10K, or
4. Pax oxy on
Three times NO SMOKING signs on when in AUTO
1. landing gear not up and locked, or,
2. Cabin altitude above 10K, or
3. Pax oxy on
What other switch (non-flight deck) can turn the emergency lighting on?
The flight attendants emergency lights switch
How is the emergency lighting system powered and how long does it last?
Remote batteries charged by the aircraft electrical system.15 minutes from a full charge
What happens if the emergency lights switch is not in the armed position? (2)
UNARMED light illuminates and the EICAS 'EMERG LIGHTS'
Three different (independent) types of oxygen systems on board?
Flight crew (each crew station), passenger, portable oxygen bottles.
How is passenger oxygen generated?
When does the pax oxy deploy? (2)
1. Above 14k cabin alt
2. Manually by pushing flight deck passenger oxygen switch
Wind limits on aircraft entry and cargo doors?
1. Do not operate greater than 40kts
2. Do not leave open with gusts more than 65kts
What does the break away feature on the cockpit door do?
Allows the door to be forced open in either direction for emergency access or evacuation
Three types of fire extinguishers on board? Where and what for?
1. Halon - Flight deck and cabin. Used for electrical, grease, and fuel but can be used for all.
2. H2O - Cabin - used for paper, fabric and wood fires only. Not electrical, fuel or grease.
One warning and two cautions when using extinguishers?
Warning - if discharging in flight deck area crew should be on 100% oxygen and emergency selected
Cautions - Remove power source first if fighting electrical fires and do not discharge too close to fire source
When does flight data recorder turn on and how long does it record back to?
Turns on when engines running and records previous 25hrs
Are the runway turn off lights inoperative when gear not down and locked?
Yes - they are inoperative
Which oxy door when opens starts the flow of oxy to the regulator?
How turn off the oxygen after masks have deployed?
Close the doors and pull down test/reset switch turns the oxy off
Pax Oxy ON light on switch means? (2)
Either switch pushed manually or pax oxy system auto deployed (above 14k cabin alt)
EMERG LIGHTS on EICAS means? (3)
With Main DC power available, either:
- Switch is moved to on (should normally be in armed)
- Switch is off (should normally be in armed)
- Switch is in armed position and they have been turned on at FLT Attendant panel