Flashcards in Analysing the closing sequence Deck (5)
What is conveyed by the superimposition of both men's faces in the prison glass?
-The faces of Marco and Benigno blend together with Marco's face taking place of Benigno's and visa versa, stressing the connection between these two men, and the qualities that Benigno has passed on to Marco.
Comment on the significance of the conversation between Marco and Benigno's concierge "But innocent of what?" Marco "I don't know"
- Marco doesn't want to think about it
- Guilty of a crime but innocent as a person
How is the Mise-en-scene of his apartment used to suggest possibly different readings of Benigno's alleged actions? (describe some key elements of Mise-en-scene in order to illustrate your points here)
- Connection between the colour red - Benigno's window pane, Marco and Alicia's clothing.
- His flat is neat and orderly, suggests that his actions toward Alicia were not malicious, he thought more of them as a couple
- A+B pillow case
- His room is the same as the layout in the magazine, he was trying to build a home for him and Alicia.
- Las Horas book, about mother and son relationships
Rain is a recurring feature in these final scenes, why? (especially within the final prison scene)
- 'I've hugged very few people in my life' - Benigno is lonely - unworldly
- Rain pathetic fallacy