Flashcards in BB LRGPHOR Ch10 - Experimental Methods in Rabbits Deck (28):
5. When returning rabbits to their housing, face the animal (toward/away from) the handler.
8. True or False: Restraint devices have a calming effect and help animals feel secure.
9. ____________ and __________ coordinates are used to establish the horizontal and vertical planes for rabbit stereotaxic work.
10. A stereotaxic frame has been developed for rabbits that use the _________ of the rabbit's __________ as a spatial reference.
contact plane , mandible
11. List 3 commercial devices available that adapt stereotaxic frames to fit rabbit skulls.
tooth bar, nose clamp, u shaped clamp
12. True or False: To avoid causing distress and abnormal physiology, do not exceed removal of 1% of body weight in any given 2 week interval.
13. For exsanguinations, how much blood can be obtained from a 3 kg rabbit?
90-120ml (half the animal's blood volume)
14. List 4 sites for blood collection in rabbits
Aural vessels, jugular vein, cardiac puncture, carotid artery
15. All of the following can be used to promote relaxation or vasodilation to assist with blood sampling in rabbits, except:
a. warming animal ears
b. acepromazine at 0.8 mg/kg SQ
c. fentanyl/fluanisone at 0.2 ml/kg IM
d. lidocaine cream
16. True or False: A rabbit must be in a plane of surgical anesthesia prior to jugular vein blood collection.
17. For chronic blood sampling over days or weeks, indwelling catheters may be surgically placed into the
a. aural vessels
b. femoral artery
e. a and b
f. b and d
g. c and d
18. For cerebrospinal fluid collection, the rabbit is placed in __________ recumbency.
19. For cerebrospinal fluid collection, why are plastic vials preferred to glass vials.
to minimize adhesion of leukocytes
20. List the landmarks used for needle insertion for cerebrospinal fluid collection.
occipital protuberance, wings of atlas
21. Which site is the preferred site to administer contrast agents for myelography?
22. List ways to collect urine in the rabbit.
metabolic cages, manual expression of bladder, urethral catheterization, cystocentesis
23. True or False: Manual urine collection can be best accomplished in an unanesthetized rabbit.
24. True or False: Does typically nurse their young for about 5 weeks.
25. Using oxytocin, approximately _____________ of milk can be collected from a sedated rabbit using the DeLee suction catheter.
26. Bone marrow can be collected from the ____________ ___________ or ___________ __________ using a 18 gauge _________________.
proximal humerus/ proximal femur/ Rosenthal pediatric biopsy needle
27. Describe the location for needle insertion for bone marrow collection from the femur.
The needle penetrates via the trochanteric fossa between the first and third trochanter at a 45 degree angle to the femur's long axis.
28. Which of the following procedures can be used to administer precise quantities of liquids without the use of anesthesia.
a. nasogastric tube
b. pharyngotomy tube
c. oral gavage
29. Which of the following has been shown to remain in place and patent for 6-12 months.
a. pharyngotomy tube
b. nasogastric tube
31. For constant intravenous infusion, rabbits can be maintained on a
c. swivel tether system
d. all of the above
32. For IM injections in rabbits, what is the recommended maximum volume per site?
1.0 ml or 0.05 ml/kg
33. List the two sites for IM injections in the rabbit.
quadriceps (anterior thigh) and dorsal lumbar muscles
34. True or False: Rabbits are prone to laryngospasms.