Flashcards in BB LRGPHOR Ch8 - Rabbit Anatomy & Physiology Deck (24):
1. Where are the scent glands located?
chin glands, anal glands, inguinal glands
2. The fundus blood supply of the rabbit eye is different than dogs, cats, cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, rats, mice and primates in that the rabbit fundus is
a. merangiotic (only part of the inner retina is supplied by retinal vessels)
b. holangiotic (retinal blood supply is from central or cilioretinal arteries
3. True or False: Rabbits lack a tapetum lucidum.
4. True or False: Rabbit lacrimal system more closely resembles that of humans than that of rats or mice.
8. Which of the following is false regarding the rabbit esophagus?
a. there are no mucus glands
b. rabbit esophagus is similar in musculature striation to humans
c. three layers of semi-involuntary striated muscles extend all the way to the cardia of the stomach
9. The distal portion of the cecum ends as a 5-inch, thick walled, narrow blind tube known as the
10. Which of the following is false regarding the sacculus rotundus?
a. has a honeycombed appearance
b. contains lymph follicles
c. often referred to as the ileocecal tonsil
d .is the “pacemaker” of the colon
11. True or False: Rabbit colon is characterized by haustra and taenia.
12. Which of the following about rabbits is false?
a. are crepuscular
b. hindgut fermenters
14. True or False: Cecotrophs are an important source of nitrogen-containing compounds such as niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).
15. Which of the following is false regarding the rabbit liver and gallbladder?
a. mainly secrete bilirubin in the bile
b. liver has 4 lobes
c. secrete a large amount of bile in relation to their size
d. typical mammalian liver, consisting of a cribiform sheet of hepatocytes, one cell layer thick
a. they secrete mostly biliverdin like non-mammalian species do
16. True or False: 25–50% of rabbits produce atropinase, so atropine is a poor choice for an anti-cholinergic drug.
17. True or False: Rabbits have multipapillate kidneys.
18. Which of the following is false regarding rabbit urine?
a. varies in color from orange and brown to red
b. pH is typically around 8.2
c. produces 50–75ml/kg of urine a day
d. calcium is not excreted in the urine
d. urine is the major route of excretion of calcium (unlike most mammals)
19. True or False: Male rabbits have open inguinal canals.
20. Which of the following do male rabbits lack?
a. seminal vesicles
b. vesicular glands
d. paraprostatic glands
e. bulbourethral glands
f. os penis
21. True or False: Rabbits are induced ovulators.
22. What type of placentation do rabbits have?
24. Which of the following regarding the heart is false?
a. most of the heart is supplied by the right coronary artery and its branches
b. right atrio-ventricular valve has two bicuspid leaflets rather than three
c. rabbit is the species of choice for Purkinje fiber studies because they have little or no connective tissue admixture with the Purkinje cell.
25. True or False: Rabbit lipoprotein metabolism correlates to human lipoprotein metabolism more closely than mice because lipoprotein profiles are rich in low-density lipoproteins (LDL) while mice are rich in HDL.
26. True or False: The rabbit is an obligate nose-breather.
27. True or False: The rabbit thymus regresses with age.
28. True or False: Rabbits can sweat and use their ears for thermoregulation.
False. Rabbits cannot sweat but ears do play a big role in thermoregulation