Flashcards in Biological Rhythms & Sleep - Martin Deck (13):
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Possibly caused by out of sun circadian rhythms
- Sxs: hopelessness, increased appetite, increased sleep, social withdrawal
- Tx: light therapy
What is the master circadian pacemaker?
- Environmental stimulus entraining (mainly light)
- Rhythms become free running when no zeitgeber present
What activators and target genes are involved in the auto regulatory transcriptional feedback loop of the circadian clock?
Activators: CLOCK & BMAL1
Genes: Per1, Per2, Cry1, Cry2
What things are people who work night shifts more at risk for?
Obesity, heart disease, breast cancer, colon cancer
- A negative component of circadian clock
- Mutation in this gene produces reduced sleep time
Initial sleep stage; 8-13 cycles/second
2nd sleep stage; > 13 cycles/second
3rd sleep stage; 4-7 cycles/second
4th stage of sleep; < 4 cycles/second
Tueromamillary nucleus (TMN)
Responsible for producing awake state
What do histamine containing cells in the TMN promote?