Flashcards in Blood Vessels of the Trunk, Head, & Neck Deck (22):
T or F: the ascending aorta has no branches.
- it has the coronary arteries (the first aortic branches are therefore the coronary arteries)
The aortic arch passes backwards in a ________ plane after passing to the _______ of the trachea.
- sagittal plane
- passes to the left of the trachea
The __________ extends from the pulmonary artery to the aortic arch. It is the remnant of the _________.
- ligamentum arteriosum
- is a remnant of the ductus arteriosus
Which nerve is the ligamentum arteriosum associated with?
- the left recurrent laryngeal nerve
- (lies lower than the right recurrent laryngeal nerve, which is associated with the right subclavian artery)
The 3rd-12th posterior intercostal arteries arise from the _______, while the 1st and 2nd come from the _________.
- most posterior intercostal arteries come from the thoracic aorta
- the first two come from the subclavian arteries via the costocervical trunks
Which artery feeds into the anterior spinal artery? Between which vertebral levels can it lie?
- the artery of Adamkiewicz
- anywhere between T4 and T10
What are the branches of the aorta (in order)?
- coronary arteries, brachiocephalic trunk, left common carotid, left subclavian, superior phrenics, celiac trunk, inferior phrenics, suprarenals, superior mesenteric, renal arteries, right gonadal, left gonadal, inferior mesenteric
Three Branches of the Celiac Trunk
- splenic, left gastric, and common hepatic
At what vertebral level does the abdominal aorta bifuricate into the two common iliac arteries?
What are the major tributaries of the IVC?
- the renal veins and iliac veins
What are the major tributaries of the SVC?
- the jugular and subclavian veins which dump into the brachiocephalic veins
- the azygous vein
T or F: the areas supplied by the celiac trunk and the mesenteric arteries drain directly into the IVC.
- these actually drain into the hepatic portal vein --> pass through the liver --> enter the hepatic veins --> enter the IVC
What do we call a system that starts and ends with capillary beds?
- a portal venous system
The right gonadal vein drains directly into the _______, while the left drains directly into the _______.
- right: IVC
- left: left renal vein --> IVC
The inferior mesenteric vein drains directly into the:
- splenic vein --> hepatic portal vein --> IVC
What does the azygous venous system drain?
- the posterior abdominal and chest wall
Which carotid artery has the branches?
- the external carotid artery
List the eight branches of the external carotid artery.
- superior thyroid, ascending pharyngeal, lingual, facial, occipital, posterior auricular, maxillary, superficial temporal
Which vessel runs posterior to the scalenus anterior muscle? Anterior?
- posterior: subclavian artery
- anterior: subclavian vein
Trace the path of the vertebral artery.
- branches from the subclavian artery --> transverse foramina of the cervical vertebrae --> around the occipital condyle --> into the skull through the foramen magnum
What is found within the carotid sheath?
- the internal jugular vein, the carotid artery, and the vagus nerve