Flashcards in Cancer Deck (11):
Environmental factors account for % of cancer cases and deaths in the US?
Obesity associated cancers?
Adenocarcinoma of esophagus
Alcohol causes cancer of ?
1. Leading cause of death in both men and women
2. Smoking - risk is 10 time greater for a smoker than for a non-smoke
2nd leading caused of cancer death for women
Lifetime risk: 1 in 8 women
2nd leading cause of cancer death in the US
2nd most common cause of cancer death in US men
70% of diagnosis are made in men >65 ys
71% of prostate cancer deaths are of men >75 ys
Strong association with HPV 16 and 18
Breast cancer risk assessment tool
To calculate 5 year risk and lifetime risk of breast cancer according to the following key risk factors:
2. Age at first period
3. Age at first birth
4. Family history of breast cancer (mother, sister or daughter)
5. Number of past breast biopsies
6. Number of breast biopsies that showed atypical hyperplasia
7. Race /ethnicity
8. Mutation in either BRCA1 or BRCA2
9. Hx of ducal carcinoma in situ or lobular carcinoma in situ.
Occupational skin cancer risks
1. UV light
2. Poly cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
4. Ionizing radiation
6. Burn (welding)