Flashcards in CH-06 PLANT NUTRITION Deck (14)
Photosynthesis is the process by which plants manufacture carbohydrates from raw materials using energy from light
Write the word and chemical equation for photosynthesis
carbon- dioxide + water --- glucose+ oxygen
6CO2 + 6H2O ---- C6H12O6 + 6O2
Brief the fate for glucose.
Plants uses glucose as a energy source for respiration
they can convert glucose into
1. starch for storage
2. lipids for an energy source in seeds
3. cellulose to make cell walls
4. amino acids when combined with N2 and other ions absorbed by roots to make proteins
What is the function of waxy cuticle?
prevents water from evaporating
What is the function of upper epidermis ?
allows light to penetrate to palisade cells
What is the function of palisade mesophyll ?
tightly packed with chloroplasts to absorb sunlight
What is the function of spongy mesophyll ?
contains air spaces that increases the surface area to volume ratio for diffusion of gases
What is the function of guard cells ?
absorbs and loses water to open and close stomata to allow carbon dioxide to diffuse in
What is the function of stomata ?
gas exchange takes place-
opens in the day
closes during night
What is the function of vascular bundle ?
contains xylem and phloem
What is the function of-
xylem- to transport water and minerals
phloem- to transport sucrose and amino acids
Brief adaptations of leaf for photosynthesis
1. large surface area of the leaf- increases area for diffusion of gases and absorption of light
2. Thin- allows diffusion to be short and quick
3. chlorophyll- absorbs light energy needed for photosynthesis
4. networks of veins- allows the transport of water to the cells, and carbohydrates.
5. stomata- allows the diffusion of co2 and o2
6. epidermis is thin and transparent- to allow more light to reach the palisade cells
7. waxy cuticle- to protect the leaf without blocking the sunlight
8. Palisade layer at the top - maximizes the light absorption
9. Spongy layer- air spaces allow diffusion
10. vascular bundles- thick cell walls help to support the stem and leaf.
What is the function of magnesium and what does it deficiency cause?
- needed to make chlorophyll
deficiency- causes yellowing between the veins of leaves