Flashcards in Ch. 1 - Types of Apparatus Equipped with a Pump Deck (49)
The main purpose of a fire department pumper is to provide?
adequate water pressure for effective fire streams
NFPA ______, Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus, contains the requirements of pumper design.
The standard (NFPA 1901) specifies a minimum pump capacity of _____ gpm and a water tank with capacity of at least _____ gallons for pumpers.
Pump capacities larger than 750 gpm increase in increments of _____ gpm with most municipal fire departments operating pumpers of ______ gpm or less.
NFPA ______ specifies the minimum portable equipment that must be carried on all fire department pumpers.
________ ________ - Specifically designed apparatus that combines the functions of both a rescue vehicle and a fire department pumper.
Class A foam is used on?
Class B foam is used on?
flammable and combustible liquid and gas fires
- Generic term used to describe a high-energy foam-generation system consisting of a water pump, a foam proportioning system, and an air compressor (or other air source) that injects air into the foam solution before it enters a hoseline.
Compressed Air Foam Systems (CAFS)
..., the foam tanks are correspondingly smaller, usually ranging from ____ to ____ gallons. These tanks are often designed to be refilled directly from ____ gallon containers.
20 to 100 gallons
5 gallon containers
- Fire apparatus whose primary purpose is to initiate a fire attack on structural and wildland fires and support associated fire department actions.
Initial Attack Fire Apparatus (also known as Midi-Pumper or Mini-Pumper)
- Small fire apparatus mounted on a pickup truck sized chassis, usually with a pump having a rated capacity less than 500 gpm. Its primary advantage is speed and mobility, which enables it to respond to fires more rapidly than larger apparatus.
Fire apparatus are classified according to the primary?
function for which they are designed
- Apparatus sized between a mini-pumper and a full sized department pumper, usually with a gross vehicle weight of 12,000 pounds or greater. The _____-________ has a fire pump rated with a capacity generally not greater than 1000 gpm.
The Incident Command System (ICS), as defined by NIMS, categorizes pumping apparatus and mobile water supply apparatus based on __________. This system is called _________ _______.
Mobile water supply apparatus, locally known as _______ ______ or ________, are used to transport water to areas where a water system is nonexistent or inadequate.
water tenders or tankers
The capacity of mobile water supply apparatus operating in a particular jurisdiction is based on a variety of factors including:
* Bridge and weight limits
* Monetary constraints
Mobile water supply apparatus, as stated in NFPA 1901, are equipped with a tank capacity of at least ______ gallons.
Combating wildland fires requires an apparatus design that is ?
lightweight, highly maneuverable, and all-terrain
A _____ and ______ system that allows the apparatus to be driven while discharging water is an advantage when combating wildland fires.
pump and roll system
IFSTA does not recommend riding on the outside of the apparatus, and this practice is prohibited by NFPA?
NFPA 1500 Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program
_______ ___ foam agents are extremely effective in attacking wildland fires and protecting exposures.
What apparatus are used to provide immediate suppression of flammable liquid fires and suppression of vapors from fuel spills?
Aircraft rescue and fire fighting apparatus (ARFF)
Requirements for ARFF apparatus are found in NFPA ?
NFPA 414, Standard for Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Vehicles
- Vessel or watercraft designed and constructed for the purpose of fighting fires; provides a specific level of pumping capacity and personnel for the extinguishment of fires in the marine environment. Also known as Marine Unit.
Some fireboats have capacities as high as ________ gpm. Individual master stream devices on these vessels may discharge large volumes of water sometimes in excess of _______ gpm.
Aerial apparatus equipped with fire pumps should always be positioned with consideration of the?
reach of the aerial device
- Apparatus that serves as an engine and as a ladder truck; equipped with a fire pump, water tank, ground ladders, hose bed and aerial device.
According to NFPA _____, Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus, a quint must be equipped with a pump rated at a minimum of _____ gpm and a water tank of at least _____ gallons.