Flashcards in Ch. 26: Microbial Diseases Of The Urinary And Reproductive System Deck (18):
* Bladder infection, ascending infection that often starts as urethritis and then ascends
* Common in women
* Untreated can lead to pyelonephritis (kidney infection, some cases are asymptomatic)
Where can you get gonorrhea?
* Oropharyngeal (in the throat)
* Vaginal/cervical (likes to grow close to the cervix)
What pathogen is gonorrhea caused by?
Neisseria gonorrhea, asymptomatic
* 3x more common than gonorrhea
* Fastest growing STI in young adults (15-19)
* Leading cause of blindness
Gonorrhea and chlamydia are two STI's that can progress into what?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
What does PID affect?
Fallopian tubes and ovaries
Inflammation of the fallopian tube
Vaginitis can progress to?
What's the difference between vaginosis and vaginitis?
* Vaginosis is the infection not the inflammation
* Vaginitis infection progressing to an inflammatory response of the vagina
What is vaginitis?
Inflammation of the vagina due to infection
What's the most common culprit for vaginosis?
* candida overgrowth
* Trichomonas vaginalis
* Gardnerella vaginalis
What's the whiff test?
Vaginal discharge + NaOH (sodium hydroxide) =fishy smell
What are the three phases of the progression of an HIV infection?
What's the most common cause of bladder infections particularly in woman?
E. coli, because of improper perineal care
* More common than chlamydia and Gardnerella
* Only STI we talked about that's not reportable, don't have to reported to your state health care officials who report to the CDC because it's relatively benign disease, it won't kill you, it's self-limiting, and it's not a health threat.
Can PID get outside the ovaries?
Yes, because it commonly settles in the fallopian tube's where is accompanied by inflammation and hemorrhaging and some of the bacteria escape
How can PID get into the pelvic cavity?
When the egg descends the fallopian tube they can escape through the gap between the fimbriae and the ovary and infect the pelvic cavity