Flashcards in chapter 1 Deck (10):
What is Law?
A set of facts and circumstances that regulate the conduct of members of the society
What are the two types of law,
1. public law - governs rules between gov and citizens.
2. private law - Governs rules between private citizens
Classifcations - Contact, property and tort.
What is the objective of law?
To form a pattern of behavior of society
what is a federal law?
- Enacted by Ottawa,
-most serious offenses, written and passed.
What is Provincial law?
-Statues /acts- enacted by queen's park
-applied to the province
What is municipal law?
- passed by the city, applies to the city
-ex--> smoking, parking
What is criminal law?
Violation of a FEDERAL statue/ act
ex- murder, break and enter, drug trafficking
Criminal law is made up of _________ law and _______ law
- substantive and procedural
Define Substantive law
- Defines the conduct that is acceptable and unacceptable