-Dictates which program gets which piece of memory
-Starts and kills programs
-Interprets instructions given to it by the user
-Handles more common and simple tasks such as displaying text on a monitor
-Handles switching of applications
-Writes to disk
-Unloads and loads new tasks
-Handles multiple tasks across multiple CPUs
When the CPU pauses a task to that another may run. The kernel decides when to switch focus between tasks.
- Gives you a choice of options to load one or more versions of Linux (or other OS) and then to load the kernel of the chosen option and get it started.
- It loads the Linux kernel and then transfers control.
Make requests to the kernel and receive resources, such as memory, CPU, and disk, in return.
One task that is loaded and tracked by the kernel
Gathers all of the source files and generates something that can be run on the computer
You get the right to use the machine code, but you cant see the source code
What is the Linux Kernel licensed under
GNU Public License
Red Hat Package Manager
Red Hat focuses on what?
Server applications such as web and file serving
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Paid service on a long release cycle
Dictates how often software is upgraded
- -Sponsored by Red Hat
- -Which makes a personal desktop comprising the latest software
Free version of RHEL
- -More community driven
- -Promotes the use of open source software
- -Popular Debian distribution
- -Created by Canonical
Takes the commands that a user issues and interprets them into a form that the kernel can execute on the hardware.
Two oldest UNIX shells
Bourne shell and C shell
- Bourne Again Shell
- Comes from Bourne Shell
- Interpreted by the shell and transformed into actions by the kernel
What's the command order?
- command [options] [arguments]
Give a command a different or shorter name to make working with the shell more efficient.
Uses special characters like ?, *, and  to select one or more files as a group for processing.
Used to connect one or more simple commands to perform more complex operations
The location where the system stores the default shell for user accounts is the
The location where the system stores the default shell for user accounts