Flashcards in Chapter 1 Deck (17)
A state of well-being in which each individual is able to realize his or her own potential, cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively, and make a contribution to the community.
What are some attributes of mentally healthy people?
- rational thinking
- effective coping
- self- control
- self- awareness
- developmentally on task
- spiritual satisfaction
- happiness and joy
- positive self-concept
- learning and productivity
- effective communication
- meaningful relationships
Refers to all psychiatric disorders that have definable diagnoses.
- These disorders are manifested in significant dysfunctions that may be related to developmental, biological, or psychological disturbances in mental functioning.
The ability and capacity for people to secure the resources they need to support their well-being
The belief that the overall person is flawed. Is characterized by social shunning, disgrace, and shame
Diathesis - stress model?
Diathesis represents biological predisposition and stress represents environmental stress or trauma
_________________________ is the most accepted explanation for mental illness ?
Diathesis - stress model
Nature-plus-nurture argument ?
Asserts that most psychiatric disorders result from a combination of genetic vulnerability and negative environmental stressors.
“ a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.”
10 guiding principles of recovery?
1. Recovery emerges from hope
2. Recovery is person driven
3. Recovery occurs through many pathways
4. Recovery is holistic
5. Recovery is supported by peers & allies
6. Recovery is supported through relationships and social networks
7. Recovery is culturally based and influenced
8. Recovery is supported by addressing trauma
9. Recovery involves individual, family, and community strengths and responsibility
10. Recovery is based on respect
_________________ and _________________ are the foundations for recovery?
Self-determination & self-direction
Recovery is ______________ and May involve ________________ ?
Recovery is NONLINEAR and May involve SETBACKs
The quantitative study of the distribution of mental disorders in human populations.
- helps identify high-risk groups and risk factors associated with illness onset, duration, and recurrence.
Comorbid condition ?
The simultaneous existence of two or more disorders.
Refers to the # of new cases of mental disorders in a healthy population within a given period of time, usually annually.
Describes the total # of cases, new and existing, in a given population during a specific period of time, regardless of when they became ill.