Flashcards in Chapter 11 - Apollo Deck (56):
Apollo: god of..
Poetry (origin of sheperd god)
Apollo: God of Medicine - double meaning
Seen as a destroyer and a healer due to his archery
Son of Apollo
God of Healing
Epithet for Apollo from Asia Minor origins
Lycian relates to Asia minor but also animal. How?.
LYKOS = wolf like
- Relates to sheperd origin
Northern Origins of Apollo
- means "beyond the north wind"
- send yearly offerings to Delian Apollo
Significance of Name "Apollo"
- most likely non-hellenic
- Romans also called him Apollo
False etymology of Greek Word - "Apollumi"
Epithet of Apollo related to Artemis's epithet meaning Bright
"Phoebus" - bright and shining
Who does Apollo replace to obtain sun-god title
Hyperion and Helius
1st Part of Homeric Hymn to Delian Apollo (Hyperboreans")
Talks about his birth
- Letos roaming and trying to find place to birth twins
- Finds refuge in Delos
- Endures 9 days and nights of labor
Leto's refuge on islaand of Delos gives Apollo Obligations - what are these obligations?
He must build a temple and establish an oracle.
Who assists Leto during her labor?
and what is a variant of this myth?
- Artemis was born first and immediately helps with Apollo's birth - relating her to goddess of childbirth
2nd part of Homeric Hymn to Pythian Apollo
- Apollo tries to find place for prophet
- Slays dragon
Where did Apollo find the proper location for the oracle?
Crisa at Mt. Parnassus
Apollo killed a dragon. What was the dragon's name?
What does "Pytho" mean in Greek?
Apollo the dragon slayer was given what epithet?
commemorates slaying of pythos
- pindar's pythian odes
Delphinos/ Delphis definition
Omphalos and historical background
centre of greek world
-egg shaped stone with eagles on either side
Apollo turns into dolphin to get followers
Comandeers a cretan ship
Apollo Delphinius serves for what etiologies?
Delphi as a sanctuary name
- How apollo became the god of sailors and colonization
Who is Pythia?
Prophetess of Apollo
Where did Pythia sit?
Upon a tripod
Symbolization behind tripod
symbol / source of divine power
Pythia inspired or possessed by Apollo?
A medium to the gods
Use of hallucinogens
vapours from chasm - epic meter and incoherent ravings from priests
Story of Cassandra
Daughter of Priam, King of Troy
- Given gift of Prophecy in exchange for sex
- Backs out of promise
- Apollo spits in her mouth and given curse
- given prophecies but never believed
If someone is a "Cassandra" what does that mean?
their dire prophecies aren't taken seriously
If someone was a SIBYL what were they?
a prophetess of Delphi
- specifically called the Pythia
Most famous Sibyls
Cumae in Italy
- relates to Virgil's Aeneid
Cumaen Sibyl story of wishes
- Years equivalent to handful of sand in exchange for sexual favours
- Sibyl backs out
- Apollo grants wish and she ages for thousands of years without eternal youth to the point where she is just a voice
Story of Marpessa
Apollo loves Marpessa, grandaughter of Zeus, daughter of Evenus
- Marpessa loves Idas, an argonaught mortal
- zeus says Marpessa has to choose
- Marpessa chooses Idas because she's afraid Apollo will leave her when she's old
What does Daphne mean in Latin?
Who was Daphne's father?
River god Peneus
Story of Daphne and Apollo
Apollo boasts to Cupid that he has a better shot.
Cupid is mad and shoots Daphne with a "rejecting arrow"
Cupid shoots Apollo with "passion arrow"
Apollo wants Daphne but she is chaste
Daphne gets scared and tired while running and calls help from father- Peneus turns her into a Laurel tree.
Apollo and Hyacinthus
Hyacinthus is a friend of Apollo - they both threw discus together
- Hyacinthus killed by Apollo's throw by accident
- Apollo causes Hyacinth flower to grow from blood
What's a variant of Hyacinthus's death?
Discus gone astray by Zephyrus
Where was the hyacinth flower worshipped?
at a tomb in sparta during a celebration called the Hyacinthia
Since Hyacinthia has a non indo european name, what kind of deity might he be associated with?
indigenous fertility deity
Who was Coronis?
Apollo's lover; Ascelpius's mother
Aesculapius = Latin
Who informed Apollo of Coronis's affair?
His bird, the raven
What happens when Apollo shoots Coronis with an arrow?
She is dying and he immediately regrets shooting her because their child will die with Coronis
The raven turns black
Ascelpius is snatched from a....
Who does Apollo give Asclepius to?
Chiron- the wise centaur
What does Chiron teach Asclepius?
What does Asclepius have that is often confused to belong to Hermes?
The staff with the serpent that surrounds it
Asclepius's staff confused with Herme's....
Who are Asclepius's daughters?
Hygieia and Panacea
Who invented the flute?
Apollo and marsyas
The satyr, marsyas (half man, half goat) challenged Apollo to the flute
Apollo flays Marsyas alive
Two judges in musical face off between Apollo and Pan
King Midas and Mount Tmolus
- Mt. Tmolus says Apollo won
- Since Midas likes Pan better he contests the final judgement