Flashcards in Chapter 12/13 Test Deck (17):
Three models of life on earth
1. Primordial Soup Model - the ocean is filled with lots of organic molecules that were formed by Ultra Violet light, volcanoes, lightning, etc.
2. Miller-Urey Model - Tried to simulate the earth's atmosphere, recently scientists discovered it was not 100% accurate.
3. Bubble Model - Reactions were protected by bubbles within the ocean.
How are radioisotopes used in determining the Earth's estimated age? (4.5 billion years)
Evolution of eukaryotes
Cells became more complex, membrane bound, endosymbiosis takes place. Ex. Mitochondria going inside cell and each make each other stronger.
Main Points of Darwin's Theory
- Inherited mutation exist
- mutations may benefit certain individuals
- Over time those mutations will become common
the time it takes an element to lose half its mass
resemble a cell membrane, formed from short chains of amino acids, not a cell because could not pass on traits (heredity)
Photosynthetic bacteria, produces oxygen into the atmosphere
Ancient bacteria, hostile environments
Famous for his book on evolution
Individuals that have an advantageous adaptation over others will increase reproduction thus increasing that adaptation
Inherited trait that has become common in a population because it provides an advantage
Gradual change over a long period of time
Rapid change possibly caused by environmental factors
Structures that were present/functional in ancestors but no longer functional today.
Structures that share a greater percentage of DNA