Flashcards in Chapter 13 - Subcultures Deck (42):
What are subcultures?
Group memberships within society-at-large based on age/ethnicity and place of residency that influence consumer lifestyles
What are micro cultures?
In subcultures, there are microcultures.
These have strong identifiication with activity or art form and have unique set of norms, vocab, and product insignias. Such as Trekkies, or Drag Queens
How does your age subculture effect you?
Bonds you with millions who born same time, such as many mature consumers flocking to paul mccartney concert in Halifax in 2009
How much marketers talk to age subculture?
In their own language
What is a group of consumers of the same approximae age who have similar experiences?
What are the 7 generational categories?
1. Interbellum (born at beginning of 1900)
2. Silent generation (between two world wars)
3. War baby generation (during WWII)
4. Baby boom generation (born 1946-1964)
5. Gen X (1965-1985)
6. Gen Y (1986-2002)
7. Gen Z (2003+)
What is the Nostalgia scale?
It is scale that old items are different to new items, such as:
-They don't make em like they used to
-The good old days
- We are experiencing decline in quality
-Modern business constantly builds a better tomorrow
So can be neg or positive
What is multi-generational marketing strategy?
This is using imagery that appeals to more than one generation.
So baby boomers and teens like iPhones
Youthography points out that what ages are different cohorts but value personal relationships, media and technology?
Youthography points out that the ages of 18-34 are in different cohorts but value personal relationships, media and technology
What % of CDN pop is gen y?
% gen y that belong to vis minority?
How do gen y's feel with global community?
How does Gen Y feel about Canada in the way it welcomes different races and cultures?
• 26.5 percent of the Canadian population
• 20% of Canadians 15-24 belong to a visible minority
• Gen Yers feel they belong to the global community first
• 94% agree that one of the best things about Canada is the way it welcomes different races and cultures
Which Gen are Digital Natives?
Gen Y are first to be Digital Natives
University market prefers what type of brands for ethicality?
Socially responsibility, and brands are looking to attain early brand loyalty
University market in Gen Y is hard to reach?
Yup, especially through conventional media such as TV
What is the youth market and is it big?
What do they focus on?
It is teenages and it is massive
Feel good products
What kind of product usage is popular with teens? (5 things)
5. Approval from others
What are vital wants with teens?
Friend, activities and clothing
According to Saatchi and Saatchi, teens have what 4 basic conflicts?
1. Autonomy vs belonging
2. Rebellions vs conformity
3. Idealism vs pragmatism
4. Narcissism vs intimacy
What are 4 rules of engagement for young consumers? (how do you speak to them in ads)
1. Don't talk down
2. Don't try to be what your not, stay true to brand image
3. Entertain them, make it interactive and keep sell short
4. Show that you know what they are going through, but keep it light
Who are tweens?
aged 10-14, and have discretionary income from various sources aspiring to being teens
Generation x is sometimes called what?
Baby Busters, and include 3.7 million baby boomers born between 60 and 66
These are overlooked as small age cohort, but they have changed the world creating companies such as Goog,e YouTube, and Amazon
What are 5 terms for mature market?
3. Zoomers (boomers with zip)
4. Grey Market
% of pop baby boomer?
today they are ready for what?
Found what type of jobs?
How much healthcare?
Currently are they advertised to a lot?
9.7 million baby boomers in Canada, over 30% of the population
• As teenagers, the Woodstock generation, today ready to retire or already retired
• The boomers found lucrative jobs, getting older and wealthier
• The boomers purchased 80% of all healthcare products in 2007, but they also bought 58% of all cars, and are enjoying 55% of vacations
• Boomers, at present a little overlooked , are set to be a new target for advertisers
How do marketers see grey market?
Is there role changing?
Is market growing?
Until recently many marketers neglected the grey market
• As this market remains healthy and active, their role has changed rapidly
• The grey market is now a picture of health and activity
• The market grows
What is the fastest foreign age group in Canada?
People over 60, so grey market
What are the 2 types of age and how are marketers responding?
1. Chronological age
(actual # years lived)
2. Perceived age
(how old you feel is better to use)
so marketers are responding to how the seniors feel, not how old they are
The mature market like what two things with ads and product design?
1. Information rich positive advertising
2. Well designed user friendly products and packing that acknowledges physical limitations
What market engages in strategies such as affiliation and self expression for the next chapter of their lives?
What are the 4 regions of Canada?
1. Atlantic Canada
What is a grope of people sharing common culture and.or genetic ties?
What are two ways to target ethnic consumers?
1. fostering inclusiveness
2. Speaking to ethnic groups in their mother tongue
How is ethnic media as a bridge?
Research indicates that minorities prefer and advertising spokesperson form their own group
what is De-ethnicitization of products
Product formerly associated with a specific ethnic group is detached from its roots and marketed to other subcultures
such as bagels, olive oil, and curries
What are largest two ethnic markets in Canada?
British and French
In addition to French and English, what are 4 most dominant mother tongues?
how much of pop%?
What emphasis do they put?
16% of population
Put more emphasis on being well respected and less on intellectual and cultural activities
What is fastest growing minority group?
What are 5 characteristics of Chinese Canadians?
1. Small and diverse
3. Above average incomes
4. Education oriented
5. Varied population experiences
In 2006, how many canadians were immigrants?
What are main 4 visible minorities in Canada?
2. East Indians
What is most ethically diverse city in the world?
How is ethnicity a moving target?
melting pot society makes it hard, and some identify as two or more races on census.
Mixed marriage blur ethnic boundaries, but create opportunities for marketers by offering new products to celebrate multiple heritages