Flashcards in Chapter 17 - information processing in motor learning Deck (40)
what are 4 advantages of the closed-loop system?
1) new skills
2) activities requiring precision and accuracy
3) allows adjustment according to the situation
4) adds versatility to movements
what are 2 disadvantages of the closed-loop system?
1) rapid, discrete actions do not properly fall under closed-loop control
2) demands attention and time
-feedback must pass through the processing stage
describes control of automatic actions
when are movements structured in open-loop system?
movements may be structured in advance, enabling them to run off automatically when initiated
what are the 2 main components of the open-loop system?
1) the executive
2) the effector
-chooses motor program
-carries out specific instructions automatically
what are 3 advantages of the open-loop system?
1) fast and forceful movements can be produced without extensive conscious control
2) attention can be diverted to other responses
3) does not demand as much time because there is no feedback
what are 2 disadvantages of the open-loop system?
1) not as effective in unstable and less predictable situations
- movements may not be determined effectively in advance
2) not effective in precise and complex actions