Chapter 2 Flashcards Preview

Forensic Psych > Chapter 2 > Flashcards

Flashcards in Chapter 2 Deck (20):
1

Trisha Melli

Attack, raped, lost 70% of blood and had no recollection of the event

2

Matias Reyes

Matias confessed to killing Trisha, semen found on her was a match to Reyes

3

Confessions to police

39%-48% suspects make a full confession when being interrogated
13%-16% make damaging admission statements

4

5 reasons why police want confessions

1. Saves Time
2. Avoids trial
3. Less of process to gather and collect evidence
4. Less need to question witnesses
5. In most cases the jury will convict a defendant who confesses to a crime.

5

Miranda vs. Arizona

Led to Miranda Rights

6

How many people in police custody recognize Miranda Rights

Only 20%, the other 80% waive their rights and submit to a full interrogation without an attorney present.

7

4 Reid Techniques

1. Loss of control
2. Social isolation
3. Certainty of guilt
4. Evidence ploys

8

Authority

Compliance with those in power

9

Reciprocity

Feeling obligated to return favors

10

Liking

Yes, more likely toward people we feel positive talking about

11

Scarcity

If only one offer is made we are likely to take it.

12

Social proof

When uncertain we look around for guidance

13

Commitment and Consistency

public commitments tend to increase likelihood of consistency

14

False Confessions

approximately 25% of known wrongful convictions involve false confessions

15

Instrumental coerced

long, intense interrogation

16

Instrumental voluntary

suspect knowingly implicates themselves for some goal

17

authentic coerced

long intense interrogations that eventually lead the suspect to believe they committed the crime

18

Authentic voluntary

someone suffering from delusions confesses to a crime with little or no pressure from interrogators.

19

Police in US allowed to lie?1

Yes

20

Ways to combat false confessions

1. video recording
2. time limits
3. appropriate adult safeguard for vulnerable suspects
4. expert testimony