Flashcards in Chapter 4 Deck (15):
Define Oxidation Number?
The number that shows the number of electrons lost/ gained by an atom in bonding with another.
What are the 5 oxidation rules?
1. In uncombined elements, Oxidation Number = 0.
2. Certain elements have fixed oxidation numbers
3. In monoatomic ions, the oxidation number = the charge on the ion
4. In neutral compounds the sum of the oxidation number = 0
5. In polyatomic ions, the sum of the oxidation numbers = the charge on the ion.
What is the oxidation rule for Group 1 elements?
All group 1 are +1
What is the oxidation rule for Group 2 elements?
All group 2 are +2
What is the oxidation rule for Oxygen?
Oxygen = -2 (except in H2O2 when it is -1 or with Fluorine with it is +2)
What is the oxidation rule for Hydrogen elements?
Hydrogen is +1 (except in metal hydrides its H-)
What is the oxidation rule for Chlorine elements?
Chlorine is -1 (except with oxygen or fluorine when its +1)
What is the oxidation rule for fluorine?
Define a Oxyanion?
Negative ions that contain oxygen
What is oxidation?
The loss of electrons
What is reduction?
The gain of electrons
What always occurs in REDOX reactions?
Both oxidation and reduction
What is a half equation?
An equation that shows which elements have gained or lost electrons in a redox reaction.
What is disproportionation?
When a single element is simultaneously oxidised and reduced in the same reaction.