Flashcards in Chapter 4 Deck (13):
1. What is an organic compound?
a. A molecule that contains carbon, hydrogen, and usually oxygen.
2. What are the 4 major building blocks (also called macromolecules) of life?
a. Carbohydrates, protiens, lipids, nucleic acids.
3. A carbohydrate is another name for __________.
4. What are the 2 major functions of carbohydrates?
a. Used to make energy in an organism, some store energy for later, or structural molecules for building structures.
5. What is chitin?
a. Found in shells of some animals like crabs and lobsters main component of the skeleton
6. Proteins are made of ________.
7. Name 4 functions of proteins.
a. Enzymes- are specialized proteins speed up and essential in chemical reactions
b. Hormones- act as chemical messengers within an organism
c. Structural- molecules like in muscles
d. Antibodies- for protection from disease
8. What is an enzyme?
a. A protein that speeds up specific chemical reactions
9. Lipids are ____, ______, and _______.
fats, oils, and waxes
10. Can water dissolve (or mix with) lipids?
11. What are some useful functions of lipids for marine organisms?
a. Lipids are used as a coating to cover outer surfaces, fur, or feathers, acts as an insulin layer. Helps either keep water off so they stay dry or help keep from drying out.
12. What are nucleic acids?
a. They are DNA and RNA, made of small nucleotides