Flashcards in Children and natural health products: what a clinician should know Deck (20):
What is complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)?
broad domain of healing resources that encompass all health systems, modalities and practices and their accompanying theories and beliefs, other than those intrinsic to the politically dominant health system of a particular society or culture in a given historical period
What is a natural health product (NHP)?
manufactured, sold, or represented for use in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of a disease or disorder and for restoring or correcting organic functions or maintaining and/or promoting health
What do NHP encompass?
1. Homeopathic preparsations
2. Susbtance or substances used as traditional medicine (e.g. Chinese, Ayurvedic, or North American Aboriginal)
3. Mineral or a trace element, a vitamin, an amino acid, an essential fatty acid, or other botanical-, animal-, or microorganism- derived substance
What is homeopathy?
The principle of similtude where treat like with like. The active preparation is made by diluting the agent and rapidly agitating the dilutions (succussion) with greater dilution equaling greater potency.
What is Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)?
Emphasized the importance of Qi, whose action manifests as all life phenomena, including physical, mental and spiritual aspects. Disturbances in Qi manifest as disease.
What are the main modalities of TCM?
2. Traditional Chinese herbal remedies
3. Traditional Chinese dietary therapy
4. Traditional Chinese and natural health products
5. Chinese exercise therapy
6. tuna massage
7. traditional Chinese diagnosis
What is chiropractic treatment?
Subluxation, a complex of functional and/or pathological articular changes that compromise neural integrity and may influence organ system functions and general health.
What populations have higher rates of NHP use?
up to 70%
1. children with arthritis
2. children with cancer
3. children with rheumatoid arthritis
4. children with CF
5. hospitalized children
6. adolescent girls with eating disorder 30%
7. homeless youth
What are some indications for vitamin A?
2. respiratory conditions
3. GI (diarrhea) conditions
What are some indications for vitamin B?
2. protein loss
4. muscular dystrophy
What are some indications for vitamin C?
4. Oral health conditions
What are some indications for vitamin E?
1. premature birth
2. low birth weight
What are some indications for magnesium?
What are some indications for folic acid?
3. rheumatoid arthritis
What are some indications for zinc?
1. abnormal growth
3. recovery from malnutrition
What are some indications for Chinese herbal medicine?
1. liver conditions
2. respiratory conditions
What are some indications for homeopathy?
4. Diarrhea conditions
5. Respiratory conditions
What are some concerns regarding NHP?
1. Poor standardization
3. Drug-herb interactions
What are recommendations for counseling families who choose complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM)?
1. Ask about use, inquiring does not equal endorsing use
2. Try to have a non-judgmental attitude
3. Seek information for yourself and be prepared to share it with families
4. Evaluate scientific merits of specific therapeutic approaches
5. Identify risks or potential harmful effects (including opportunity costs, whereby known effective therapies are not pursued, and possible financial burden)
6. Provide families with information on a range of therapeutic options (avoid therapeutic nihilism)
7. Educate families to evaluate information about all treatment approaches
8. Avoid dismissal of alternative therapies in a way that communicates a lack of sensitivity or concern for the family's perspective
9. Recognize feeling threatened and guard against becoming defensive
10. Offer to assist in monitoring and evaluating the patients in ongoing follow-up