Flashcards in C.L. Exam 181-200 Deck (40):
181. An abolitionist of the 19th century.
Who is John Brown?
181. This man was an abolitionist and who fought for slaves.
What did John Brown fight for?
182. A famous command during the battle of bunker hill.
What is "Don't fire until you see the white of their eyes"?
182. This man gave a famous command at the battle of bunker hill.
Who is William Prescott?
183. A colonist of the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
Who is William penn?
183. William penn is the founder of William Prescott.
Who founded Pennsylvania?
184. A fort at the entrance to the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina.
What is Fort Sumter?
184. The engagement of the first military engagement of the civil war.
Fort Sumter was the location of what engagement?
185. Money, property, or materials goods that a bride's family give to the bridegroom or his family.
What is a "DOWRY"?
185. This helps cement the relationship between the bride and grooms family but also serves to reinforce traditional family roles.
What does a dowry help?
186. An American author and educator of the 20th century.
Who is Dale Carnegie?
186. Who published "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE"?
187. A native of Louisiana believed to be descended from French people from Acadia.
Who is Cajun?
187. Cajuns have maintained a different culture including a special dialect and distinctive cooking style.
What did the Cajuns believe to maintain?
188. Painlessly putting someone to death.
What is Euthanasia?
188. There have been proposals in the United States about mercy killing and whether an individual who is suffering from an illness has the right to request a physician to assist him or her in dying.
What has been proposed in the United States.
189. A number meant to measure someone's intelligence.
What is intelligence quotient?
189. This is obtained by taking the ratio of a persons mental age as measured by a standardized test.
How is a persons I.Q. Obtained.
190. A war fought within our country against the south and the north.
What is the civil war?
190. The north won the war against the south in during a war in the 1860's.
Who won the civil war?
191. A proclamation by pigs.
What is "ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHER"?
191. George Powell wrote this novel.
Who wrote Animal Farm?
192. A satirical fable.
What is animal farm.
192. This man wrote the fable animal farm.
What fable did George Powell write?
193. A cabalistic charm.
What is "abracadabra"?
193. This term is used frequently by magicians.
Who uses the term "abracadabra"?
194. An American patriot and pamphleteer.
Who is Samuel Adams?
194.This man was active in arousing public opinion against England.
What was Samuel Adams aroused in?
195. A novel by C.S. Forester.
What is The African Queen?
195. In 1951 this novel was made into a movie.
Did The African Queen become a movie?
196. A character in the Arabian Nights.
Who is Prince Ahmed?
196. This person is also associated with the apple of Samarkand.
What was Prince Ahmad associated with?
197. This man is remembered for his hostility the the prophet Elijah.
What was Ahmad remembered for?
197. This man executed Naboth on false charges in order to obtain possession of a vineyard.
Who executed Naboth to obtain a vineyard?
198. An American writer of a book for boys.
Who is Horatio Alger JR.?
198. This is the oldest child of a Unitarian minister.
Horatio was the oldest child of what?
199. Alice's adventures in wonderland was written by this man.
Who is Lewis Carroll?
199. This story is about a girl who falls into a well into a strange well.
What is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland about?
200. This man was a film director, writer, and actor.
Who is Woody Allen?