Flashcards in Cognitive Approach Deck (12):
What is the cognitive approach?
- Mental processes & It's effect on behaviour
- Internal mental processes should be studies scientifically
- Mental processes. 'Private'. Indirectly studies by making inferences
Theoretical & Computer models are a way of studying...
Internal mental processes
An example of a theoretical model is?
The information processing approach
The information processing approach suggests:
- Information flows through the cognitive system in a sequence of stages
- Incl: Input, Storage, Retrieval,
An example of a theoretical model is:
Explain the computer model & computer analogy
- 'Computer Analogy' - Similarity in how computers & minds process process information
Explain how a computer & mind is similar:
- Central processor (Brain)
- Changing information into a usable code
- Store to hold information
What type of study is computer analogies useful in?
- Artificial Intelligence
What are Schema's?
Package of ideas developed through experience - Mental framework for the interpretation of incoming data.
The role of Sachems are?
Enable information to be processed quickly without being overwhelmed with information - perceptual errors.