Flashcards in Composites and Low observable coatings Deck (80):
1. HIGH STRENGTH AND STIFFNESS in composite-bonded materials is a result of?
The concept of CROSS-PLIED LAMINATION
2. What is the IDENTIFYING COLOR for ARAMID?
3. What is the Characteristic of GRAPHITE?
4. UNIDIRECTIONAL FABRICS have the highest possible properties in fabric composite construction as a result of having?
STRAIGHT AND UNCRIMPED FIBERS
5. What essential function does a RESIN MATRIX NOT perform?
Carry the primary load of high strength material
6. The PROCESS where vicious materials undergo a CHEMICAL REACTION to generate a rigid structure is referred to as?
7. What type of ADHESIVE is used as a LIGHTWEIGHT splice material for honeycomb core section splice repair?
8. When storing advanced composite materials in cold storage, what is the MAXIMUM temperature permitted?
9. CUTTING large batches of material into smaller sections the first time it is thawed is a process known as?
10. When Adding too much Catalyst to your matrix produces what is known as a?
11. When MIXING the liquid matrix the liquids should be?
Blended together SLOWLY
12. What must you do prior to using the triple-beam scale?
13. The RECOMMENDED vacuum pressure, measured in inches of mercury (inHg), for curing a repair is?
14. Liquid moisture present in Honeycomb sandwich assemblies is usually detectable by?
15. In a field environment, mitigate the effects of any moisture not removed during the drying process by using CURE TEMPERATURES OF, or BELOW?
16. What kind of Ply lay-up would a laminate with a ply orientation of 45, 53,- 45, -45, 53, 45 be considered?
17. What type of orientation would you choose to obtain approximately equal strength in virtually ALL DIRECTIONS when developing a ply lay-up?
18. What can you do to help ease the READING of the ply ORIENTATION in a graphite repair site?
WET SAND with 400 Grit Sandpaper
19. The FIRST element of PATCH preparation is generating a?
20. You will use a drill bushing and guide when drilling advance composite laminates to ensure holes are drilled PERPENDICULAR to the surface and PREVENT?
21. To compensate for the stresses of flexing in flight, the minimum required panel gap is?
0.010 ten thousandth's of an inch
22. Which work procedure do you NORMALLY perform FIRST (1) when making a MINOR repair to a laminated fiberglass panel?
CLEAN the damaged area with an approved SOLVENT
23. When making MINOR repairs to a laminated fiberglass panel, what is normally the THIRD (3) work PROCEDURE you use?
MIX the RESIN according to applicable TO
24. What is the FIRST (1) step in a SCARF REPAIR?
REMOVE any paint or coating
25. When repairing a minor metal-bonded honeycomb assembly skin delimitation, you can prevent core damage when drilling holes by using a?
26. How are the thermocouples POSITIONED when repairing a metal bonded honeycomb repair?
EQUALLY spaced AROUND the repair
27. LO Technology gives the an AC the ability to defeat RADAR, THERMAL, ACOUSTICAL and?
28. The MAIN PURPOSE of making an AC LO is to increase the AC's?
29. The Acronym RADAR stands for?
RADIO DETECTION AND RANGING
30. What is RADAR CROSS SECTION?
THE SIZE of an object MEASURED by RADAR
31. Radar cross sections RCS is typically measured in?
32. Condensation trails, glints, and paint schemes are sources of which radar signature?
33. What type of AC signature source is generated by ENERGY BACKSCATTER?
RADAR CROSS SECTION
34. What is the MOST important factor for RCS REDUCTION of an object?
35. Which REDUCTION STRATEGY uses painting an AC to match primary mission?
36. When you locate damage during an inspection you will record, LENGTH, WIDTH, DEPTH/HEIGHT, CLASSIFICATION and?
37. What LO verification TIER is a WHOLE BODY near field measurement?
38. During Repair Layout what TOOL would you use to create or measure and ANGLE?
39. The BEST WAY to create a straight line, when cutting radar absorbent material (RAM) is to use?
40. Arranging all AC details so that they coincide with the OUTER MOLD LINE (OML) angles of the AC is called?
41. What alignment shape is widely used because it allows for smaller repair areas?
42. When developing a repair in GOOD PLANFORM ALIGNMENT you will align your repair with the AC's?
43. What do resistive properties of the LOADED CORE of a radar-absorbing structure (RAS) do to the ELECTROMAGNETIC (EM) ENERGY Entering it?
44. Dissipating an energy current over the whole surface of the AC is purpose of the?
45. A Corrosion inhibiting PRIMER is recommended to be used as a BARRIER BETWEEN low observable COATINGS and METAL structure because of?
DISSIMILAR METAL POTENTIAL
46. LO platforms use COMPOSITE materials because they do not reflect radar and are?
47. Ceramics are used as insulation on AC because they DO NOT CORRODE, are HEAT RESISTANT and?
48. A Radar Absorbent Material's ABSORBENCY at a given frequency depends on its THICKNESS and?
48. A Radar Absorbent Material (RAM) PERFORMANCE is based on the TYPE of dielectric material, electrical loading and?
50. What type of sheet is an R-CARD?
51. The R-CARD is typically bonded to the RADAR ABSORBENT STRUCTURE (RAS) or embedded between composite materials that are?
52. What is the result of a HOT SEALANT MIXTURE?
PREMATURE BOND FAILURE
53. What type of materials are used to provide a smooth transition between two surface that have a mismatched height?
54. When assessing LO material DEFECTS, you must accurately identify WIDTH, DEPTH, ORIENTATION,CLASSIFICATION of damage and?
55. Extreme heat expands the radar absorbent material RAM, breaks down the adhesive bond and causes?
56. Corrosion is a serious problem for stealth AC because LO coatings can?
HIDE the initial stages
57. Extensive repair is usually required on LO materials when corrosion becomes visibly evident by showing?
Bubbles and Disbonds
58. While using a pneumatic scraper to remove LO coatings, what type of TRAJECTORY must you use to prevent delimitation in the composite structure?
59. When using a pneumatic scraper to remove low observable coatings AROUND the EDGE of a panel the direction you should scrape is from an?
Interior point and work out toward the edges
60. What tool do you use to remove filler material from gaps and seams on low observable LO AC?
61. In order to safeguard the sensitivity of the material when discarding excess RAM, you have to use disposal equipment such as industrial shredders, hand-held cutting devices and?
62. The TERM that describes the systematic REMOVAL of LO coatings in a way that ensures a smooth transition between layers is?
63. Transitioning between an original coating and a new coating by overlapping alternating paints is called?
64. You should incorporate larger than minimum dimensions during your removal layout to ALLOW FOR?
65. Sand a coating layer until the layer below is visible is called a burn?
66. What can occur if the conductive elements of a coating are left exposed and unprotected for an extended period of time in a hot and humid environment?
67. What determines the AC surface temperature that must be maintained for a specific material application?
68. The solvent wipe cleaning step for composite materials be OMITTED, When?
When authorized by AC TO
69. To ensure that flex primer will adhere to the surface of RAM scuff sand with?
Medium-to Fine grade sandpaper
70. What material is used for its adhesion-improving and corrosion-inhibiting properties?
71. The EXTERIOR FINISH of an AC minimizes the moisture intrusion and provides ultraviolet protection for?
RESINS AND MATERIALS
72. The most effective ROLLER covers for the application of primer are made from?
73. When applying sheet-type RAM, you must consider surface area, shape, available equipment and?
74. When applying RAM with pressure-sensitive adhesive PSA, you roll it down with rubber-wheeled roller to?
REMOVE AIR BUBBLES
75. How can you prevent moisture and condensation from degrading the performance of filler Material that has been removed from cold storage?
Allow the material to acclimate in the sealed Manufacturer's container
76. Zip cords are installed around some panels to aid in gap filler?
77. The most effective way to apply Primer to panel seams during small repairs is to use a?
Fantail ARTIST BRUSH
78. When a repair requires UNIFORM pressure across the bonded surface, you will use a?
CONTACT vacuum bag system
79. An inspection without the aid of diagnostic equipment of the procedures being performed is a?
VISUAL process verification