Flashcards in Cosmological Argument Deck (10):
Who presented the cosmological argument and where?
Aquinas in his Summa Theleologica
What’s Aquinas’ first way?
What’s Aquinas’ second way?
What’s Aquinas’ third way?
Which scholar famously supported Aquinas?
How did Liebnitz support Aquinas?
Rejected the idea of infinite regress in his Principle of Sufficient Reason
Which theologians support the cosmological argument?
Coppleston and William Lane Craig
Quote showing William Lane Craig’s support of the cosmological argument
‘Transcending the entire universe there exists a cause which brought the universe into being’
Objections to the cosmological argument
1) Richard Gale: it’s illogical to state everything has a cause yet god doesn’t
2) Anthony kenny: people and animals move themselves
3) Richard Dawkins: Ockham’s razor
4) Bertrand Russel: illogical for God to be necessary
5) J.L. Mackie: start doesn’t have to be God
6) Kant: we cannot understand God because he’s transcendent