Flashcards in Disclosure of Trauma + Immune response to Hepatitis B Vaccination Deck (8):
What is Hepatitis B?
- a serious viral infection of the liver
- transmission is by contact w/ contaminated blood/ body fluid
- antiboy response occurs in at least 90% of health adults after vaccination
- the other 10% affected by psychological factors eg stress
What was the procedure of the study?
1. Emotional vs control
- control told to be purely descriptive + objective
2. 4 days
- skin conductance measure after each sesison
3. after day 4, blood collected
4. Vaccine given
5. Blood collected same time 1 + 4 + 6 months booster follow-ups
What were the results of the study?
1. Treatment = higher expression of negative emotions + use of insight words
2. Treatment - skin conductance decrease overtime
3. Control = skin conductance decreased too but increased near the end
4. Treatment = higher lvls of hepatitis B antibodies!!!
5. Treatment = high lvls of sadness + guilt + pounding heart after writing
6. treatment = reduction of CD4 helper cells after writing
What did the treatment group predominantly write about?
1. disruption of romantic/ family relations
2. Parental divorce
3. Death of loved one
4. Processional direction
5. Physical/ psychological abuse
6. miscellaneous topics
What are some limitations of the study?
1. young healthy ppt
- may be those who have weaker immune system = greater effect
2. Need to consider what affects secondary responses
How can the increased Skin conductance on the last day of writing for control be explained?
- play for future
- major medical school examination
What does it mean when treatment = reduction of CD4 helper cells after writing?
- initial increased levels of distress in term of high lvls of sadness + guilt immediately after writing