What does anticipatory guidance mean?
Clinician provides patient specific education by anticipating upcoming changes or needs of the patient
What are the normal glucose ranges for:
Preprandial - <100
Postprandial - <140
HbA1C - 4-6%
In general, a Type 2 diabetic should check capillary sugar ____ daily and blood sugar upon ____
In general, a Type 2 diabetic should check capillary sugar once daily and blood sugar upon waking
Steps to using a glucometer (8)
- Wash hands with soap and water, dry completely
- Insert lancet into device and set depth correctly
Verify test strips are w/in expiration period and insert into monitor
- Stick side of finger
- Allow blood to wick into the strip without touching
- Apply pressure with cotton ball or gauze at site to stop bleeding
- Record reading with date and time to take to doctor
- Dispose of lancets in the proper container, not in the trash directly
Why should lancets be stuck in the side of a diabetic's finger?
Fewer nerve endings on the side, may help decrease pain sensation
How often should diabetics examine their feet?
It's in important to make sure your diabetic patients always wear ___
Make sure they fit properly, don't pinch or rub when they walk
What should you tell your patients to examine when doing a daily foot exam? (5)
- Nails trimmed neatly
- Look at all skin areas
- Monitor for calluses and corns, signs of thickening
- Feet should feel warm to touch
- Hair over joints is a sign of good circulaton
What are the required components of a physician's diabetic foot exam?
Inspection (all surfaces)
Protective sensations (monofilament and vibration)
Reflexes at the ankle
What are the 3 main types of carbs?
What should you educate your diabetic patient on for eating a healthy diet?
Educate on types of carbs
Get enough protein while limiting red meat, cholesterol
1/2 of plate w/ non-starchy veggies