Flashcards in Elizabeth Marriage For + Against Deck (4)
What are the first few arguments for Elizabeth’s marriage?
- form alliance with foreign country
- win support of powerful English family
- Mary queen of Scots wouldn’t be able to have power after her death
What are the second arguments for Elizabeth’s marriage?
- Elizabeth could produce an heir to carry on the tutor dynasty
- foreign national support could open up economic opportunities
What are the first 3 reasons against Elizabeth’s marriage?
- childbirth in 16th century was dangerous for the mother
- marrying englishman = problems over who has authority
- many suitors were catholic