Flashcards in Emergency Procedures - Water Rescue #1 - Operations Deck (26):
Any entry into water or onto ice be considered as a?
Who shall be designated as the PRIMARY RESCUER during water or ice rescues?
A member who has been trained in the suit and is familiar with its CAPABILITIES and LIMITATIONS should be designated as the primary rescuer.
Is it good practice to assign your PRIMARY water rescuer as a riding position?
NO. It would not be good practice to assign your PRIMARY water rescuer as a riding position.
*Positions should be discussed and determined at roll call.*
What are some factors that would affect the decision not to have members enter the water?
a) Water/weather conditions
b) Location of victim
c) Skill level of rescuer
d) Night operations - Members should not be allowed PAST the line of sight from the shore.
Based on tests conducted, members wearing bunker gear, WITH or WITHOUT an SCBA can become submerged in how long?
In UNDER 1 minute.
*The type of boot worn, had NO effect on the amount of time.*
*Bunker gear DOES NOT float.*
What is the percentage of would be water rescuers who become drowning victims?
10% of drowning victims are would-be rescuers.
How much faster does the loss of body heat occur in cold water compared to in air?
25 TIMES faster in cold water than in air.
When the body's core temperature begins to drop BELOW _____, the victim transgresses from _____ into ____?
BELOW 90 degrees Fahrenheit
Sudden face contact with cold water (BELOW ______) initiates a body reflex known as?
BELOW 70 degrees (69,68,67,etc.)
Mammalian Dive Reflex (MDR)
Describe Mammalian Dive Reflex.
- Oxygen conserving mechanism
- REDUCES the heart rate
- INCREASES blood pressure
- Shuts down blood circulation to ALL the body's core, resulting in a lower metabolism.
* The COLDER the water and YOUNGER the victim, the BETTER chance they have of survival.
- 4 tides in 24 hours
- 2 tides COMING IN (HIGH tide)
- 2 tides GOING OUT (LOW tide)
- Slack tide - 45 minutes between HIGH and LOW tides.
Describe Rip Tides.
- Occur when the tide is GOING OUT (LOW tide)
- The PRIMARY source of distress in drowning victims
- Causes panic - *The LEADING cause of drowning.*
How do you escape a rip current?
Swim PARALLEL to the shore.
Describe SWEEP tides.
- Runs PARALLEL to the beach
- It is MORE PRONOUNCED on OUT-GOING tides
- Waves are diagonal to the beach
- Can sweep swimmers into a rip current.
Where should a rescuer enter the water when attempting rescue a victim from a SWEEP tide?
The rescuer should enter the water UPSTREAM of the sweep.
*Contact with the victim will be difficult if the rescuer takes a approach because they will be swimming AGAINST the sweep to get to a victim.*
Describe the equipment used to inflate hose for ice/water rescue.
- Yellow water rescue fittings
- One 2 1/2" FEMALE cap w/shackle and snap bolt
- One 2 1/2" MALE fitting w/ shackle and CHECK VALVE
- Lengths of 2 1/2" hose
- Spanner wrenches
- Air supply from either a SCBA, FAST Pak or apparatus air outlet
-DEPLOY the required lengths of hose,
- Attach the water rescue fittings and
- Ensure that all connections are?
SPANNER TIGHT PRIOR To filling with air.
How many lengths of hose can ONE 45 minute cylinder fill?
One 45 minute cylinder can fill FIVE lengths of 2 1/2" hose.
How long will ONE 45 minute cylinder take to fill FIVE lengths of 2 1/2" hose?
Approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds (2 1/2 minutes)
How long will it take for the apparatus air outlet to fill TWO lengths of hose?
Approximately 20 SECONDS
*MALE plug from hose directly to the air outlet on apparatus*
Describe using the SCBA or FAST Pak to fill the hose.
- Members shall disconnect the LOW pressure hose at the Hansen fitting
- Attach air hose to MALE plug of hose fitting
- Inflate hose until it is completely filled and possesses RIGIDITY similar to a charged line.
How many people can be kept afloat with each length of 2 1/2" hose filled with air?
Approximately 10 people.
The LOOP deployment does what?
- INCREASES buoyancy
- Can be used for MULTIPLE victims
STRAIGHT line deployment can be used when?
- In incidents from a PIER or SHORE
- Involving only a FEW individuals who are CLOSE to shore.
The air filled hose is secured with?
*Deploy hose INTO the anticipated path of travel.