Flashcards in Engine Op's Ch. 11 Large Caliber Streams Deck (13):
A large caliber stream (also called a "master stream") is any fire stream with a flow of ___ gpm or more. Flows this high require mechanical assistance for safe handling due to the tremendous nozzle reaction forces generated by the large volumes of water. Large caliber streams (LCS) are potent weapons in the FDNY arsenal. Their tremendous versatility and fire suppression potential is well recognized, but they must be used carefully due to the high pressures and high volumes they produce which can cause serious injuries.
Fill in the blank
A variety of large caliber stream devices (also called "master stream devices" or "master stream appliances") are employed by this Department and can be broadly divided into three categories:
Portable or ground based.
· Engine apparatus based.
Akron "New Yorker" multiversal
· Consists of LCS nozzle and detachable support base.
· Can be set up remote from pumping apparatus--on the ground or on the roofs of exposure buildings or setbacks.
· Includes three "stacked tips".
· Playpipe (stream shaper) must be left in place to assure a good quality stream with maximum reach.
· Water supply is provided by what size hose?
Two 3 1/2-inch lines, but 2 1/2-inch hose can be used if necessary although the upper end flows will not be attainable.
Akron "New Yorker" deckpipe
Stang "Intelligiant" monitor used by Satellite Water Unit (total of 6 plus spares:)
· Each "Intelligiant" gun is capable of flows up to ____ gpm through a 3 1/2- inch tip. Other tip sizes are available.
Fill in the blank
Akron ladder pipe nozzle
How many supply sources are recommended to supply the ladder pipe?
· Supplied by 3 1/2-inch hose. Two supply sources are recommended to prevent undue stress on the aerial ladder in the event a sudden loss of water occurs. A 3-inch ball valve and 3-inch by 3-inch siamese are carried by ALL aerial ladders. Aerial ladders are also equipped with two lengths of 3 1/2-inch hose to supply the ladder pipe.
Akron tower ladder basket based monitor
· Most flexible type of LCS used by the FDNY.
· ___ to ___ psi is required at the inlet of the tower ladder apparatus for effective operation.
Fill in the blanks
The use of a LCS can only be ordered by the Incident Commander (IC). this can include who?
This includes the first arriving engine using its “Deck Pipe” for a quick fire knock down or exposure protection.
If LCS use is ordered, all operating forces within the building must be notified and time permitted for their safe withdrawal from the building.
True or false
Safe withdrawal to unexposed positions. Confirmation of their safe withdrawal should be verified by handie-talkie or face to face communication with the IC.
What shall be used as an additional safety measure after members have withdrawn to a safe location?
As an additional safety measure, the LCS should be quickly swept through the building without stopping at any window or other opening to serve as a warning to any members left in the area of operation.
At well involved frame buildings, vacants, and taxpayers, tower ladder operations can be anticipated and engine apparatus should position with this in mind. Use of the "deckpipe" should not interfere with proper tower ladder positioning for effective use of elevated LCS. When arriving at any of the above fire situations and a hydrant is not in proximity to the fire building, what actions should the engine company take?
11.3.1 & 11.3.2
A 3 1/2-inch line should be "dropped" (in addition to a handline) to best assure rapid employment of tower ladder LCS. (The same consideration may be made for a ladder pipe if no tower ladder is assigned to or available for the box.)
To reduce the destructive effects of “water hammer” on pumps, appliances, and members, all valves and gates used in supplying LCS must be opened and closed _______. A water hammer is the sudden force that is exerted upon hoses and appliances when supply is suddenly or rapidly shut down. This can result in damage to pumps, appliances and hose and can also cause injuries to members.
Fill in the blank
Whenever possible, an engine company supplying LCS should be dedicated to that task and not engaged in supplying handlines. This makes for a safer operation due to the tremendous water hammer created by the sudden shutdown of an LCS, which could cause a burst length or cause members to lose control of a handline.
What must be used when supplying LCS?
RELIEF DEVICES MUST BE USED WHEN SUPPLYING LCS.