Flashcards in Engines Deck (45):
A320 and A319 Engines are considered?
- D-rated variants of the V2500 engine
How much thrust is produced on A319?
- V2524-A5 produces 24,000 pounds of thrust
How much thrust is produced on A320?
- V2527-A5 produces 27,000 pounds of thrust
How much thrust is produced on A321?
- V2530-A5 produces 32,500 pounds of thrust
How much thrust is produced on A320 NEO?
- PW1100G-JM produces 27,000 pounds of thrust
What is on the accessory gear box on the engine?
- Fuel pump
- Oil pump
- Alternator (automatically powers when engine reaches 10% N2)
How many side strake's on A320, A321, A319?
- A320 only has 1 inner strake
- A319, A321 have 2 total, 1 each side of the engine
What happens if one strake is missing?
- A performance penalties applys
How is each engines FADEC (full authority digital engine control) cooled?
- FADEC is cooled by ambient air
What does FADEC control?
- Fuel flow
- Thrust reverse
- Ignition control
- Protects exceeding N1, N2 and EPR limits
- Protects from EGT limits (ground only)
- Protects starter engagement time and re-engagemnt
- Computation of fuel used
- Thrust limits
- Thrust penalties for use of air conditioning + Ice protection
- Acceleration + deceleration schedules
- Idle settings
- Providing engine information
How can engines start?
- Manually or Automatically
What does FADEC control on auto engine starts on the ground?
- FACEC has abort authority
- Controls starter sequence
- Starter valve + HP fuel valve
- Fuel flow + Ignition
- N1+N2 monitoring
- Control starter aborts
What does FADEC do on manual starts?
FADEC monitors engine starts and provides warnings but does not have abort authority
What are three idle settings?
- Modulated idle (on ground)
- Approach idle (higher idle for go around)
- Reverse idle (slightly higher)
What is the normal mode for controlling thrust?
- EPR is the normal way for controlling thrust
What happens if EPR is not available for thrust control?
- FADEC will then use N1 mode (can be manually selected)
Thrust is control by FADEC looking at?
- Angle of thrust levers
How long is TOGA (max thrust) limited to?
- 5 minutes
When is MCT used?
- Single engine
When must you be out of max revers?
- Out of Max reverse at 70 knots
What are the 2 modes of A/THR (auto thrust)?
When is A/THR automatically armed?
- During takeoff when trust levers are in TOGA or FLEX
What is A/THR active range?
- From just above idle to climb
What will you see in the EPR gauge on A320 and not on A319,A321?
- Green AVAIL in green in EPR gauge indicating a successful engine start.
Where is thrust limit displayed?
- Displayed right of EPR gauge
When will you get a Amber oil pressure warning?
- Oil pressure dropping below 80 PSI
When will you get a Red oil pressure warning?
- Oil pressure drops below 60 PSI
When will you get a Amber oil temperature warning?
- Oil temperature above 155 degrees for more than 5 minutes or above 165 degrees
When will vibration indication puls green?
- Vibration above 5 units
What does it mean when you have amber XX on engine gauges?
- FADEC is shut down.
- If engines are not started with 5 min of AC power established FADEC auto shuts down
When will FADEC be re-powered before engine start?
- When IGN/START switch is selected
After IGN/START selected what happens if after 30 seconds and engine is not started?
- The Doors/Oxygen page will replace Engine page automatically
Which engine is started first on the Airbus?
- ENG 1 (if single engine taxi Y pump ON for brakes)
When is the used fuel reset?
- When engine start is accomplished
When is ignition and fuel flow started when starting?
- Approximately 30 seconds
When does the start valve and ignition turn off?
- When N2 reaches 43-48%
When does the gray box go away?
- N2 reaches 58% (green AVAIL light A320 only)
Memory item for stabilized engine start 2,4,6,8,10?
- 20% N1
- 400 EGT
- 60% N2
- 800 Fuel Flow
- 1.0 EPR Just over
When is manual engine start done?
- When low duct pressure (min 15% N2)
How do you turn on both Igniters with engines running?
- Move ENG start switch to IGN/START
How can you shut down an engine if the ENG switch will not work?
- Push the ENG FIRE push button
- Will take approximately 40 seconds to shut down do to fuel in the line.
Will FADEC abort a start and try to re start and engine?
- Yes (after 30 seconds dry motoring will try another start)
When do you get the amber FAULT light on the ENG BLEED pbs?
- APU bleed valve open and engine bleed valve not closed
- S Engine start with bleed valve not closed
- O verpressure downstream of the bleed valve
- L eak (low pressure)
- O verheat
Engine bleed valve closes?
- A PU bleed ON
- S art valve open (engine)
- O verpressure
- L Bleed leak
- O verheat