Flashcards in ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AFFECTING PRODUCTION Deck (16):
What are the main ENVIRONMENT & MORAL ISSUES?
- Sourcing food
- Organic food
- Animal welfare issues
- Fair-trade food
- Food waste
Why is SOURCING FOOD becoming increasingly important to consumers?
- They're concerned about the distance food travels
- Food with large food miles is often NEGATIVELY seen by consumers
- They're is more promotion of regional foods in supermarkets because of this
What is deemed as LOCAL?
- Food sources within 30 mile radius if where its sold
- Some products have pics of the farmers on the front to measure them of its locality
What is the RSPCA?
- A non governmental organisation that campaigns on environmental health & animal welfare
What is ORGANIC food?
- Has severe restrictions on PESTICIDES & avoids ARTIFICIAL & CHEMICAL FERTILISERS
- Produced without any artificial CHEMICALS or HORMONES
- Must also follow standards of animal welfare
- Its sales are growing but still only a small proportion of people buy organic
What about CHEMICAL FERTILISERS?
- Without them many people would starve
- Best combination is of conventional & organic farming to provide best mix of EFFICIENCY & minimal ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
What is LEAF?
= LINKING ENVIRONMENT AND FARMING
- Farming charity
- Membership scheme where farmers can adopt an INTEGRATED FARM MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
What does an INTEGRATED FARM MANAGEMENT SYSTEM do?
- Ensures food production has reduced impact on environment
- Means producers can then use LEAF mark on products
Why are we seeing a growth in ETHICAL CONSUMERISM?
- Celebrity chefs are caring more about animal welfare
- More documentaries about animal welfare
- Vegetarianism is a growing expression of concern for animal welfare issues
What are the consequences of this raised AWARENESS for ANIMAL WELFARE issues?
- We're buying more products made with minimal harm to HUMANS/ ANIMALS/ ENVIRONMENT
- Manufacturers are applying to RSPCA to qualify for their 'FREEDOM FOOD' logo
What are FAIR-TRADE Products?
= Adresses the INJUSTICES of trade
- Fair prices
- Decent working conditions
- Sustainability for farmers
What about FAIR-TRADE in the UK?
- Large variety of FT products in UK
- More awareness for FT in UK than anywhere else
- 20% Roast/ground coffee = FT
- 20% of Bananas = FT
What about FOOD WASTE In the UK?
-Waste Resources Action Programmes says UK throws away 6.7million tonnes of edible food a year
- Average of £420 worth of food per household
- FOOD PROCESSING also produces waste
- Inadequate STORAGE/ TRANSPORTATION of food = 40% of food is lost
What is wrong with FOOD WASTE?
- Food roots & produces METHANE GAS
- METHANE GAS = v harmful Greenhouse Gas
- Wastage = increased costs for manufacturers & consumers
What is COURTAULD COMMITMENT?
= Voluntary agreement between WRAP & major food retailers/ producers in the UK to make more EFFICIENT FOOD PACKAGING & tackle food waste